× Members

Pip refused, am very disappointed and feel let down

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286249 by Jiffy
Update.

Following a very unsatisfactory assessment 2 weeks ago, I feared the worst. I phoned DWP for a copy of the PA4 assessment review. My worst fears were confirmed. The ATOS assessor concluded I only satisfied one descriptor and 2 points, a huge reduction from 3 years ago when I satisfied several descriptors for 22 points. From an award of enhanced daily living and standard mobility, I was now facing losing the whole lot.

I took the advice of BIS (see earlier in this thread) and wrote a letter explaining why I disagreed with the PA4 Assessment report in the hope my letter would be considered by the DWP decision maker alongside the PA4 assessment report. I phoned PIP regarding this and they made a note on their system. My letter was posted on Thursday by special delivery and arrived at their Wolverhampton address before 7am Friday.

On Friday, I also received a £10 PIP Christmas bonus payment. Lucky me.

On Monday, I received a text message stating that my PIP review was complete and I would receive a decision letter within 2 weeks. A couple of hours later, I received another text stating that I’d asked them to look at the recent PIP decision again, and to expect a response within 8 weeks. I’m taking that as confirmation they have received and acknowledged my letter.

Yesterday, I was due 4 weeks PIP payment but I’ve received nothing! But I did receive £10 bonus on Friday it’s not all gloom and doom.

Anyhow, I now know that I’ve lost all of my PIP before their decision letter even arrives in the post. It also appears that my letter wasn’t considered during the PIP review and decision process, but it has instead seemingly been accepted as my application for a Mandatory Reconsideration. If so, I’ve saved some time at least and hopefully get to appeal at a tribunal much sooner rather than later.

Christmas can do one!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286256 by Chris
Hi Jiffy,

An emotional read indeed - I too in the past lost my PIP despite nothing changing, so I totally know where you're coming from, and how you're feeling - however I did contest mine all the way to the courts, and was re-awarded. It did take several months, but it was backdated. I know this is of little comfort during the Christmas period, and like you mentioned with that £10 - what really is that going to do at Christmas time ? I don't even think you can buy a frozen meal for one for Christmas for that these days :(

I think all you can do, as hard as it will be, try your best to keep your head up until 2024, manage as best you can, and then fight it next year, till the very end if need be, and fingers crossed you'll get the right result.

Me personally, when things go wrong, I drink , not always the best idea I know, but it does help me with coping......I'm actually having one of them days today, because my phone has just totally blown, and I don't have a backup at the moment, and I can't access any emails or anything, because everything has two factor authentication on it and fingerprint security.

Anyways, I really hope that you manage alright, and remember there are support charities out there if you're struggling to cope with whatever it may be.

Take care,

Regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Washington Irving

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286258 by BIS
Hi Jiffy

I'm so sorry that you have not received your money, and so your worst fears have been realised. When you receive the decision letter, ring the DWP to check where you are and confirm that you can put in for an MR. You may want to just use the letter you sent, but you need to check the details of the decision letter to know that they agreed with all the assessor's points and they haven't added anything else you need to challenge. The other thing you can do is ask for a callback from a case manager. To go from 22 points to 2 points means they are saying that your health has improved and you no longer need support. You are entitled to an explanation of how they came to that conclusion! The letter isn't enough. You don't have to do this, but it can be interesting to find out how they justify their decisions and could be useful information further down the line if you have to appeal. If you do make such a call -and they phone you back - try and record it.

This happening is horrible at any time of year, but it certainly isn't any easier over the festive period. Wishing you a peaceful Christmas.

By the way - if you have any further questions - will you put them on a new thread - because your case is now getting muddled up with Jane's because you kindly expressed concern for her troubles. It's easier if we keep them seperate.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Washington Irving

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.