× Members

Passport application

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #293889 by Steve
Passport application was created by Steve
I receive PIP & UC with limited capability for work related activity, mainly due to having epilepsy and a few other health conditions which limit my ability to get out & socially interact.

I recently applied for my first adult passport, mainly so I have a form of photo ID, and have been unable to find a suitable countersignatory. I assumed my GP would be able to sign the form, but it is no longer their policy.

I told the passport office about my situation and they have now said anyone who has known me 'just a few months' or a 'short time', rather than the 2 years usually required, will be acceped. So they appear to have compromised, however I still don't know anyone.

Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation? If so, how did you resolve it? Would any professional person on here be willing to countersign the form for me? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, as it's beginning to cause me considerable stress.

Many thanks, Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #293898 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Passport application
Hi Steve

Your question is outside the remit of the forum, it is not something I have any knowledge about as I do not have a passport.

One of our fellow members may be able to point you in the right direction, if you knew your local priest they used to be able to counter sign a photo.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #293905 by Bud
Replied by Bud on topic Passport application
Steve, you could’ve got a Voter Authority Certificate online at no extra cost. I did this as I’ve not been able to drive for years, & I wasn’t sure if I’d renew my passport again.

There’s always the Pharmacy, Police, or Library. If not ring Passport Adviceline.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendy Woo, Steve

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #293907 by Steve
Replied by Steve on topic Passport application
Hi Gary,

Thanks for your reply.

I thought it may be slightly off topic, but also assumed there must be others out there on PIP in a similar situation.

I know this site is also used by medical professionals & carers etc and hoped one of them may be able to help.

I actually contacted my local church a few weeks ago, even though I don't attend, but was informed I would have to know them in some capacity for them to do it (ie had a wedding, christening or something of that nature at the church).

Kind regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendy Woo, Gary

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #293942 by Wendy Woo
Replied by Wendy Woo on topic Passport application
Hello Steve,

I've been thinking about your question because I remember this being a problem for me a few years ago when I applied for my first passport, which I've never used for anything as exciting as foreign travel, just to prove my identity. In the end, a neighbour of my father's, who was a policeman, agreed to sign the form, even though he didn't know me very well.

This is a long shot, but how well do you know the person who delivers your post? My neighbour is housebound and she tells me our postwoman has occasionally witnessed documents for her if I've been away. Even though they don't know you well, the person who delivers your post can confirm your address and has a pretty good idea how long you've lived there, which helps towards confirming your identity. Ideally, your counter-signatory should be a passport holder themselves as this makes it easier for the passport office to confirm their identity. I don't know if they still do this, but I was later called to an interview at the local office - bizarrely, this was conducted by someone I went to school with, but they still had to ask me all the intrusive questions, despite having known me for forty-odd years and, therefore, being in what ought to have been the perfect position to confirm my identity! Embarrassing for us both! They really are very thorough, but getting a passport renewed is much easier.

I don't like having to carry my passport around, however, so in future, I think I shall follow Bud's advice and get a Voter Authority Certificate, although I don't know if this can be used for anything other than elections? (Bud, you imply it can?)

One other thing you might find easier, is to do what many young people do, and apply for a provisional driving licence. It is cheaper than a passport and can be renewed after ten years, even if you haven't passed a driving test (or even if you have no intention of learning to drive).

Having struggled to obtain my passport, I intend to renew it as long as I can afford it, as I live in hope of foreign travel one day!

Best wishes,

Wendy Woo
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Steve

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #293943 by Steve
Replied by Steve on topic Passport application
Thanks Bud, I'll look into getting a Voter Authority Certificate. I vote by post as it's not that easy for me to get out, but in any case it would be good to have another form of ID.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.