× Members

Telephone assessment imminent! help

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293000 by Csm
Hi, just had the text message we dreaded, The telephone assessment. This we were not looking forward too as the assessor has no visual input as to the condition of the claimant and relying wholly on the written evidence , which is very conclusive, although we've had to go through several tribunals and with the help of B&W gone from 0 points to enhanced on both counts, this as you can imagine, for someone who suffers from stress and anxiety coupled with depression is going increase all of these.
Ok, so if anyone has had a telephone assessment, what can we expect? how long it takes given the increased stress and anxiety they will be under talking to a phone ? what questions there're likely to ask and how long before we get the decision
thanks for any replies on this as is our first time with the telephone assessment and obviously very nervous

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293022 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Telephone assessment imminent! help
Hi Csm

The average telephone assessment is about 90 minutes - but some are shorter, and some people have reported ones that have lasted just over two hours. It's impossible to say exactly how long it will last because it will depend on the assessor and how many questions they want to ask or issues they may want to clarify. As in all assessments, you are likely to get the question (the curve ball) that you think has nothing to do with your disabilities, and most people say it is done to throw people off. If you get a question you're not expecting, just take a deep breath and don't feel forced into giving a quick answer.

You can read the types of questions you will be asked in the Guide to PIP Claims and Reviews - page 122. (That's if it is PIP you're talking about).

BIS

I

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Csm

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293043 by Csm
Replied by Csm on topic Telephone assessment imminent! help
thanks, yes ive seen the pages proceeding that one! but we'll certainly look that bit up,
As for the curve ball, yes, that's what we're dreading as we all know 'They' have an agenda! but what questions do you think they'd ask? as I've mentioned there is an issue of stress, anxiety and depression with the 'claimant' and i fear that this may be exploited.
again, thanks for your advice and any help we can get on this matter as the call is 'imminent'

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293048 by Hazel
Replied by Hazel on topic Telephone assessment imminent! help
Hi. I was told they don't always ask the same questions to everyone. For example I wasn't asked if I watched TV or had any pets, which some people are asked. I think most people are asked if they drive.

I had mine recently and can only suggest the advice in the guides on here - have your application printed out with the answers in front of you. I found reading it before the phone call was really helpful as I didn't actually need to look at it then - it was all in my head. I was also straight about issues and if asked a question, elaborated in great detail about the problems and issues caused with that particular task.

Mainly the assessor went through the things on my form and asked me more detail about specific things.

I was surprised to get Pip awarded straight away and the assessment was fair.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Csm

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293080 by freddey
Replied by freddey on topic Telephone assessment imminent! help
hi Csm

one question i was asked was " do i have a pet ?". i said no because i have not got one. afterwards i thought ..if my answer would have been yes, they would have wanted to know how i fed ,cleared up after it etc.is this a `curve ball` i don`t know. good luck

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293102 by Blueberry Owl
Replied by Blueberry Owl on topic Telephone assessment imminent! help
My assessment was over 2 hours so be prepared to have a lengthy call. I would suggest the following -

Have copies to hand of everything you have sent in. Keep that in one pile. Don’t expect them to have read it all.

Have notes of anything you specially want to emphasis.

Before the time of the call make sure you’ve had something to eat and drink and a loo break.

When the call comes through, you can expect it to start with security and ID questions. They will then ask some basic things like what sort of place you live in, who lives with you, any pets, hobbies and employment either now or historic. They will then move on to the assessment and in my experience they do not go through the categories in same way they are laid out on the form. Ask them which category they are talking about. Ask for things to be repeated or clarified if needs be. Do not be rushed.

If you want to elaborate on things or mention something do not let them say ‘we’ll come back to that later’ because you or they may forget. Make a note of whatever it is and go back to it later at the end if you have to.

Don’t worry about being upset or feeling embarrassed when it comes to talking about more personal things I.e toilet issues. They’ve heard it all before in many variations and you are just a voice on the phone. So be as graphic as you need to be to get across what you want them to know.

If you need to take a break at any time just ask them.

It’s not about diagnoses. It’s always about how your illness or disability affects you doing each section of the form.

Remember the key phrases of Safely (can you do something safely), Reliably (if you can do it can you do it reliably?), Repeatedly (can you do that task repeatedly as much as necessary), and Acceptable Standard (is that task you have done to an acceptable standard?)

Every part of the assessment revolves around these key features if you can’t do something or you struggle then your reasons should be based around these as to why not.

Beware of overly friendly assessors and over sharing. Keep to the point in hand.

You can ask ahead of the appointment for the call to be recorded. See also the Guides on this site on the subject of recording the call.

Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: an ex nurse, denby, Wendy Woo, Gary, Chris, Csm, Rosa11

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.