× Members

Contacting pip with SMI details mid claim

More
4 months 1 week ago #291515 by Mhgalea
Hello,

I’m a member with an enquiry, I currently claim PIP for Bipolar disorder with psychosis, and I receive the enhance daily living rate and standard mobility. I see a consultant psychiatrist every three months at least.

The evidence I provided at application was strong enough for me to get the PIP award without any need for an assessment. It was awarded for three years.

I have recently been awarded a severe mental impairment (SMI) discount and disregard for council for the same reasons as my pip award.

The form is signed by my psychiatrist as a permanent impairment. This is now at odds with my current three year award, which was awarded in September 2023. At the time, I didn’t think to challenge them to extend the award because I was so pleased I’d even been accepted; I’ve previously(July 2020) applied for pip with the exact same issues and evidence, and I’ve been insultingly laughed at and refused. This caused grave psychosocial dysfunctions and worsened my condition and so when that dreaded insulting letter refusing me came in the post, I just threw it away as I was so upset and angry at being refused despite my extensive evidenced ill health mandate.

I’m wondering if I should send this SMI form now, to try and extend the award. I’m just a bit scared to do anything!

Please let me know your thoughts,

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #291520 by BIS
Hi Mhgalea

Very few people get their award lengths extended, even if they request it during their review or during a Mandatory Reconsideration. The average award length has also become shorter. Unfortunately, many people with lifelong conditions still don't get given 10-year ongoing awards. As you have found out, having an extensive medical history doesn't necessarily mean you will be given a long award.

Your SMI discount awarded by the council will have no direct influence on your PIP.

If you want to fight for a longer-length award - you will have to put in for a change of circumstances - which means going through the review process again. If you go down that route, I would get a letter from your psychiatrist to confirm your ongoing severe mental health difficulties. Be aware that just because you had a paper-based assessment last time - it is not a guarantee that you will have one next time. So, if you go down this route, make sure that you request a paper-based assessment. I also reiterate that they still may not give you a longer award.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid