× Members

ESA, SAVINGS

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #286649 by Yorry
ESA, SAVINGS was created by Yorry
I'm currently living on ESA with my wife who receives PIP Enhanced. We live in a 3 bedroom bungalow council property, which was 2 bed before we built an extension with an extra bedroom and wet/shower room. We intended on living here but owing to my wife's disabilities we have to move to a more suited property for her needs. The extension cost £38,000 25 years ago and was fully approved by all necessary government departments. I have been told that when I hand the property back to the council I can be reimbursed for the extension, how much I'm not sure atm. My query is, if I receive more than £6,000 can I use the excess amount to adapt or extend my new home without my ESA been effected.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #286664 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA, SAVINGS
Y

It is certainly possible that the DWP will disregard the money but this is at the discretion of a Decision Maker and you will likely need to show evidence of your plans to dispose of the money, also the disregard may only be for a fixed time, six months is a usual period.

I strongly recommend that you get face-to-face advice

advicelocal.uk/welfare-benefits

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: jakkijax, Yorry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.