× Members

ESA, SAVINGS

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #286649 by Yorry
ESA, SAVINGS was created by Yorry
I'm currently living on ESA with my wife who receives PIP Enhanced. We live in a 3 bedroom bungalow council property, which was 2 bed before we built an extension with an extra bedroom and wet/shower room. We intended on living here but owing to my wife's disabilities we have to move to a more suited property for her needs. The extension cost £38,000 25 years ago and was fully approved by all necessary government departments. I have been told that when I hand the property back to the council I can be reimbursed for the extension, how much I'm not sure atm. My query is, if I receive more than £6,000 can I use the excess amount to adapt or extend my new home without my ESA been effected.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #286664 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA, SAVINGS
Y

It is certainly possible that the DWP will disregard the money but this is at the discretion of a Decision Maker and you will likely need to show evidence of your plans to dispose of the money, also the disregard may only be for a fixed time, six months is a usual period.

I strongly recommend that you get face-to-face advice

advicelocal.uk/welfare-benefits

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: jakkijax, Yorry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid