× Members

Update: PIP review with no extension period cover?

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286326 by Wiggles
Nearly 2 weeks ago I wrote a letter to my MP, I also wrote the same letter just over a week ago to the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions.

I have 1 week left until my PIP runs out and my Blue Badge.

If/when my MP doesn't reply (because they've never in the past when I'm desperately required their help) what can I do? Do I just sit here, waiting until the DWP decides? And, if so, do they backdate the monies owed if my award is renewed?

Thanks!

Also if anyone knows where to raise a complaint about MPs please feel free to let me know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286329 by Gordon
W

Have you been specifically told that your PIP will not be extended and will end on the original End Date?

The DWP should be extending awards, at least by three months and more usually by a year 30 days before the current End Date.

If it has been extended by a year then the DWP should be able to provide you a letter confirming the new End Date, this should be usable for your Blue Badge although they will only give you the extra year and will have to re-apply again at the end of this period.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286362 by Wiggles
Hi Gordon,

Sorry - I wasn't clear.

My award runs out in/around the holidays. It's already been extended by 1 year and I believe 30 days, too.

I called the DWP and asked if they could provide me with an update given it's been over 6 months since I returned the review form and the end date is coming up. They said no, they couldn't provide an update.

I then asked if they could provide a letter explaining that I'm under review and if an additional extension be granted until a decision has been made because it ends very soon, during the Holidays. They've said no, they won't do this. They'll only provide a letter that states when my claim runs out.

I asked if they'll be making a decision before my claim runs out and they said they didn't know. That a decision will be made soon enough and that I just have to be patient.

I explained this meant that I won't know if I've been awarded until after the award is due to end. They said they 'understood', but provided nothing else beyond this.

I may have my wires crossed but I wouldn't think they'd leave the decision until after the award has ended? Or even less than 30 days before the award is due to end?

Also this means that even if my review is accepted and my award continues I'm going to lose out on renewing my blue badge - I won't have it for a while because they've not provided a letter saying that I'm still under review and I won't have documentation stating that I'm in receipt of PIP.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286365 by Gordon
W

I do understand what you are saying but your current award should have been extended again to allow the Decision to be made. This would have/will happen 30 days before the current End Date, perhaps after you last checked.

If this was a year extension then they should be able to provide you a letter for this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286383 by Moof
W, you can apply for a Blue Badge without a PIP award. I'm very likely to have to do the same this time. My PIP award expired in October, my Blue Badge expires a couple of months from now, and DWP have told me I probably won't hear the outcome of the PIP review until next summer. I'll be asking my GP surgery to provide a letter saying I use a wheelchair because I have substantial difficulty with walking, which will hopefully be adequate.

More
9 months 1 week ago #286444 by Wiggles
Hi Moof,

My Borough have said that it would require a detailed at home visit and that could take months to allocate an appointment. It's not that it's not an option, I'll try it if I have to.

Are you still covered from PIP during this time? I don't understand how they can have such a long time to do a review and still miss the end date. I'm over 2 years over my original end date and this extension comes to an end shortly. I don't know if I'll be covered. I'm so close to giving up, I'm tired and worn out.

Good luck Moof, sorry you've had to jump through so many hoops.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.