× Members

PIP queries and Eligibility for right kind of ESA for my circumstances

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284335 by owlofthemoon
Dear Team,

Thank you for the lovely work and support you provide.

Thanks to the help here I applied for PIP last year and although it took forever, I am in receipt of PIP in both areas enhanced.(with a 2 year review when the entitlement letter finally arrived at the end of Jan 2023)
Although it took DWP three attempts and forever(May 2023) to send the assessment report. I did not agree with the assessor's scoring, view in various things and some of her observations were entirely inaccurate. I did send a letter to say so but did not have the strength to detail anything in particular as I was struggling with ill health. As the outcome was positive, it wasn't top of my list to get done, which possibly might work against me in the future.
I am unsure how to calculate the review date as well - The letter did not mention about a potential review date. Will I be sent a form 6 months from the 2 years of the PIP application date?

My carer and albeit new GP kept warning me that I would run myself to the ground trying to hold on to the job which happened. Eventually by the end of March 2023 I had to stop working totally and be on SSP which stops at the end of October 2023. I have had to permanently move in with my friend who is also my informal carer and been trying to juggle things. Thanks to Covid, I don't have any family to fall back on either. I hate to imagine things if my friend hadn't kindly offered to help.
By this time I also developed carpal tunnel syndrome but haven't managed to inform DWP yet.

Employer has been most unhelpful and looking to get rid of me. I can't keep borrowing money just to live and wonder if I have a right to when I can no longer contribute to society .......... (The generally depressing news doesn't help either).
During this time, in my pursuit to find a suitable career and job I tried to contact the National careers service and Scope support for work but ended up being told I am too slow and unsuitable for most of the services available. I take ages to do anything and need my carer's help - if only days were 48 hours instead of 24. I am beginning to realise that I cannot cope with the demands life places with my disabilities given the opportunities and support available.
I am struggling how else to work things out.
In addition, I have various discrimination issues which I am having to fight my employer on a legal level without any resources. I have contacted scope, disability law service, ACAS and EASS but no luck ending up in me having to use a solicitor privately. All this has been bad enough and coping with everything has been a nightmare.

I also recently received a formal diagnosis of ADHD and the consultant referred me for an ASD assessment, in addition to the long list of physical medical conditions and other mental health difficulties and restricted mobility.

Regarding informing DWP of new and potential diagnosis - would it suffice if I write to them or phone? does it require an accompanying medical summary or letter ?

Just when I was dreading the thought of a PIP review and what else I may have missed, I find myself in a untenable situation of having to now consider what I could possibly do to get any other help.

I have been reading through the ESA guide, the PIP overlap and some posts but unsure what I exactly may qualify given the various types. I have full NI contribution for the past tax years. I am also very wary of a physical assessment as I don't do people well specially in close proximity so much so that my local rehabilitation team has complained about me not wanting home appointments i.e. people in close proximity in my safe space.

Sorry about the rather long post, being all over the place and rambling on, I would be most grateful if I could have any suggestions, recommendations and ideas about my situation regarding the PIP assessment feedback, informing DWP about new conditions, review, ESA etc and anything at all.

Thanks muchly.

A much weary and wary fellow sufferer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284389 by Gary
Hi owlofthemoon

I will try and go through your post and answer your questions.

1) Pip claimants are usually sent a review letter one year before their award ends, if you do not receive one 6 months before your claim ends then contact DWP for a review form, not all PIP claimants are sent a review form, so always make a note of the date your claim will end and contact DWP 6 months before the end date for a review form, some claimants will be sent a review form others will be sent a new claims form.

2) If you contact DWP with new conditions, they may treat your information as a change of circumstances and issue with a new claims form. Supporting medical documents can help when making a claim, but always check the document first.

3) If you have been working for the last 6 years, you may be eligible to claim New Style ESA, you can test your self with our self tester: PIP self test
www.gov.uk/how-to-claim-new-style-esa

Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to claim both NS ESA and UC. If you receive NS ESA, the income will be deducted £ for £ from your UC claim. NS ESA is paid on a fortnightly basis whereas UC is paid monthly.

We would advise you to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk they will be able to take all your circumstances into consideration.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #286015 by owlofthemoon
Thank you Gary and BIS.

I am sorry about my shambolic response time. I couldn't get back sooner owing to prolonged flares and illness including hospitalisation of both my carer and myself. I was hoping to try to look into this now but have the joy of fighting discrimination from my employer and searching for barristers with filing my case. It just never ends.

Thank you for all your help and support, as always.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.