× Members

PIP renewal and State Retirement Age

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #286695 by Petespa
Replied by Petespa on topic PIP renewal and State Retirement Age
Apologies for not letting you know but my husband was awarded the higher rate of the daily living component and retained the higher rate of mobility for an ongoing period, following a paper based assessment. It was backdated to the 5th of September as you predicted. Thanks once again for all of your help and member guides, which definitely contributed to this excellent result.
This morning he has received a letter about the changes to PIP law with regard to needing either prompting or support to mix with people. It suggests he seek advice deciding whether to contact them if he thinks these changes may affect him. It states that if he has needed prompting or support since 2016, he may be eligible. I believe that he has needed my prompting and support throughout that time. When he was assessed in 2014, he was not awarded any points under this category so with only 7 points he didn’t qualify for the daily living component. Since the change of circumstances, he has been given 2 points for prompting and a total of 16 points for daily living.
Please do you know if there is any risk to his ongoing award by asking if he is entitled to anything under the new law. If we call them, please do you know what we will be asked? If you think it may be better to write rather than ring, please do you know what information we need to include in our letter?
Once again, thanks for your invaluable support. I only wish I had been aware of the site when we began this seemingly endless journey.
Kind regards, Petespa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 1 week ago #286737 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP renewal and State Retirement Age
P

Congratulations on the new and increased awed, well done!

You don't say when the previous review was done, the fact that you have received a letter suggests it was sometime between 2016 and 2020 but you only mention a date in 2014.

If it was 2014 then the review does not apply, however, if it was later then you should consider contacting the DWP but be aware, the DWP will only be looking at whether the award can be increased by two points for the Mixing with Others activity. If he had not already scored ten or eleven points for Daily Living the the two extra points, if awarded would not increase the previous award to Enhanced.

Gordon

Tags: @RESULT @PIP

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 months 1 week ago #286749 by Petespa
Replied by Petespa on topic PIP renewal and State Retirement Age
Thanks for your prompt reply. My husband’s initial claim was made in 2014 and he was awarded the higher rate of mobility only, for 10 years. He was due for review in January 2024. When he hadn’t received a review form, we discovered that it had been amended to an ongoing award when he reached state retirement age in 2021. As I believed that he definitely satisfied the criteria for at least the lower rate of the daily living component we reported a change of circumstances in September 2023. This resulted, following a paper based assessment, in an increase from 7 to 16 points for daily living, thus moving from no award to the higher rate. Had he received an additional 2 points when the law changed he would have been entitled to the standard rate of daily living. The letter states that he could be affected if he has needed social support at any time since 2016. I therefore feel inclined to either call, write or do both to confirm that he has needed my support when mixing throughout that time. I just wanted to check if you knew if there was any risk to his new ongoing award for higher rate of both components by doing this. Thanks again, Petespa

More
8 months 1 week ago #286801 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP renewal and State Retirement Age
P

I can't see how he meets the criteria for a review as there does not appear to have been a Decision made during the relevant period but if the DWP have offered to look at his award and you can show that he meets the higher criteria then I can't see any downside, the worst that can happen is that they say no.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Petespa

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.