× Members

PIP renewal and State Retirement Age

More
1 year 2 months ago #281647 by Petespa
PIP renewal and State Retirement Age was created by Petespa
Good afternoon,
Apologies as I think I posted last week outside of your opening hours, resulting in my question being missed.
I have since called the PIP helpline so my query is slightly different. (I called at 9am last Wednesday and I too agreed to do the survey. Consequently I was immediately put through to someone who seemed to know what they were talking about and had answered my queries within a 12 minute phone call. I am claiming that as a record).
My husband’s 10 year award of higher rate mobility was due to expire in January 2024, so I was asking when review forms would be sent. He initially said, probably not yet as they were very busy. He then told me that the award is now indefinite with no end date. (I assume this is since he reached SRA). He agreed to send written confirmation of this, which we need to re-order a car under the motability scheme.
I wonder if you know if we will be able to request a mandatory reconsideration of this award please? His condition has deteriorated both physically and mentally, resulting in him needing more help. As he was only one point short of the lower rate of a daily living award last time, I am hoping that using your guides and online course, I may be able to prove that he now meets the criteria for this.
Many thanks,
Petespa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago #281661 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP renewal and State Retirement Age
Hi Kroberts

You can post at any time of day or night and even over the weekends in the forum. Questions get answered when there is a mod around to approve them and answer them. We have different areas of expertise and different amount of time we can give to the forum, so questions aren't always answered straight away or even in the order in which they are posted.

I'm not sure that your husband can request a Mandatory Reconsideration because he has only had a light touch review, and therefore you haven't had the opportunity to submit any further information about the deterioration in his condition. Therefore they won't change their decision - because they have no knowledge of the changes.

He could put in a Change of Circumstances - but he would then be sent a review form and although you could request a paper-based decision they may try and say they want to do a telephone assessment.

I would ring the DWP and ask them what you should do.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 year 2 months ago #281663 by Petespa
Replied by Petespa on topic PIP renewal and State Retirement Age
Thanks for your prompt reply. We will probably wait until we receive the written confirmation of the award then take it from there.
Kind regards,
Petespa

More
10 months 1 week ago #285472 by Petespa
Hello again. I signed up to the PIP online training and read through the guides prior to reporting a change of circumstances. I had also put my husband’s details into your self assessment predictor. This indicated an increase of mobility points from 14 to 20 and for daily living from 7 to 19. Armed with all of this excellent information, I rang and reported the change of circumstances on 5th of September. I then started to prepare to complete the form, which arrived almost 2 weeks later. Although it only asked for details of what had changed, I followed your advice and completed it as if it was a new claim. I also sent a supporting letter detailing the extra help that I have to give and a couple of examples of issues that have arisen when he has been at home alone. I had a text message to say that the completed form had been received on 18th of October. On 7th of November, I rang to ask DWP if a missed call from an unknown number on 1st of November was from them. I was told that they had no record of it but that the form had been passed to the assessment provider and we should hear about an assessment within 1 to 2 months. I then started to look at your guides for preparing for assessment. The following day however, I received a text saying that the health professional had sent their report and it may take up to 6 weeks to hear their decision. I assumed with relief that this meant my husband would not be required to undertake an assessment. Yesterday I received a text to say that the review was complete and that we should receive the decision letter within 2 weeks. I have 2 questions which I hope you may be able to help with. Do you know if it is possible for no daily living award to be awarded without speaking to, or assessing, my husband? Also, should an award of the daily living component be made, please do you know when it would be payable from. Once again, thanks very much for this excellent website and all of the support. Many thanks Petespa

More
10 months 1 week ago #285482 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP renewal and State Retirement Age
Hi Peterspa

Yes, it is possible for a decision to be made without speaking to your husband. If he was awarded the daily living component of PIP it should go back to the 5th September to the point of which you reported the change of circumstances.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 months 1 week ago #285484 by Petespa
Thanks very much for your quick reply. We will keep our fingers crossed and I will update you once we receive the decision letter. Once again, I am extremely grateful for all of the help available on the site.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.