× Members

Help with filling in PIP reveiw form Welfare Rights question.

More
1 year 7 months ago #277041 by criscarp
Hi,
Please can you give me your thoughts on the below info.
I received a PIP review form and I struggle to word my answers completely and correctly so I was hoping to get some help filling in the form so I contacted my local Welfare Rights on my local council website. The person that I spoke to was quite vague when I asked if they could help and they told me that the next free appointment would be in 3 weeks time if I wanted it. I booked the appointment and asked the DWP for an extension so I would not run out of time to return the form before seeing someone from welfare rights.
Today a lady from Welfare Rights phoned me as my appointment is tomorrow so I asked her about the help I needed with the form. She told me they will fill the form in for me and send it off for me. I said that I was hoping to just get help with my wording and then fill the form in myself at home before sending it off. She told me that she would have to fill in the form and send it off for me and I would not be allowed to just get help and walk out with the form.
I am worried that the information will not be complete and wanted to check it myself. The appointment is only 30 minutes long and she told me they do not help with mandatory reconsiderations at all but may be able to go to the appeal if required.
I am worried the form will not be completed fully in the time allotted and why I cannot send it off myself. Should I have gone to citizens’ advice instead?
Thanks for your help, I am sort of panicking at the moment that I made the wrong choice for help and used up all my time to return the review form.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #277065 by Gordon
criscarp

I'm afraid this is how these organisations work, I would not expect it to be any different at the CAB.

It's there view, I don't necessarily agree with it, that they have completed lots of these forms and therefore know the best way to do so. They don't want your input, beyond your explaining your limitations to them as it may not fit with what they normally write or that they do not consider it relevant.

If you do use their services then make sure you get a copy of the form before it is returned to the DWP, we all too often hear that claimants have not done this and therefore have no idea what has been said about their problems.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: criscarp

More
1 year 7 months ago #277069 by jane
Hi went to cab to get help with my first application of pip and the lady helping said looking at you i don't think you'll get it. She was very vaque with my answers and posted my form. I got zero points and didn't have it in me to fight it. I've since reapplied and got my award after a mr but now my 1st pip review is up and i'm struggling to.

More
1 year 7 months ago #277071 by criscarp
Thank you Gordon for your reply. Not sure what to do now, it may be best for me to cancel the appointment and try to do the form myself.

More
1 year 7 months ago #277080 by BIS
Hi criscarp

You have to do what feels right for you, but I would like to make a couple of observations. You write very well in your posts, so I would try not to worry about your wording. Look at our guides and do one question at a time. I know it can be daunting, but if you hand it over to a complete stranger, you may also worry about their wording. The second thing which you have flagged is having the 30-minute appointment. They don't know you, so in that time, you have to answer the questions, and they have to record what you say accurately. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you will have to accept that they may not write as much as you would if you did it yourself.

I'm not saying you shouldn't use voluntary services. Many people would not get their forms back without their help, and they do great work. It's just I think you need to be comfortable with the possible limitations of the service you will get. And as Gordon so wisely says, you definitely need a copy of the form.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 year 7 months ago #277090 by LL26
Hi criscarp,
As BIS pointed out you do write well in your posts. Have a look at the members guides if you haven't already, there is lots of really good info on there.
There is no right or wrong way as long as you include sufficient information to show you shoukd be awarded points and why. However, I firmly believe that a good way to write the firm is to tell your story. Explain, give examples of what goes wrong when you perform PIP activities. Eg Have you fallen or hurt yourself? Have you got yourself in an awkward situation? If you were out and about maybe you got lost? Say what happened, about all these problems, how did it ultimately affect you, and for how long? You don't need to write the equivalent of War and Peace but something of your story is important.
And whatever you write keep a copy of all you send in.

I hope this helps.
LL26

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid