× Members

move to uc

More
6 days 16 hours ago #294833 by debmarc
move to uc was created by debmarc
hi all
just a question about the move to uc
partner and me moving from income support next week when i ring them and i understand as its managed migration we ll get a 2 weeks run on of benefits then we ll be left to pay full rent for the following three weeks or until they sort claim out
my question is as we are really still on benefits (from is to uc why are we all having to pay full rent in that period?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 days 28 minutes ago #294838 by David
Replied by David on topic move to uc
Hi debmarc,

You will get 2 weeks Housing Benefit run on. After that you will get a UC payment 7 days after the end of your assessment period. Your assessment period runs from the start date of your claim for a calendar month.
If you are a social housing tenant your rent should be covered by the monthly UC housing cost payment.

David

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 days 14 hours ago #294851 by diceman24
Replied by diceman24 on topic move to uc
I was already claiming u/credit and I have to pay full rent for 5 weeks before u:credit starts paying my rent

More
5 days 7 hours ago #294852 by David
Hi diceman24,

The wait you mention applies to all UC claimants. You may be eligible to apply for a UC Advance which is paid back through future deductions. You can apply for the Advance on your UC account.

David

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 days 18 hours ago #294869 by debmarc
Replied by debmarc on topic move to uc
im still confused ok i ll ask the question as simple as i can
i understand the 2 week run on
of housing benefit but question is
when does the housing cost element come into effect?
is it from when housing benefit stops? or is it from when assesment period is over? simply put is there any period when we have to pay FULL rent for our council flat?

More
4 days 17 hours ago #294870 by David
Hi debmarc,

Universal Credit payments include the Housing Element. They are not separate as was the case with Housing Benefit and ESA or Income Support with one being paid by the Council and the other by the DWP.
So to answer your question the Housing Element does not come into effect separately and is part of UC. As it is part of UC it starts when you make your UC claim on the same day which is also the start day of your UC assessment period.
Your Housing Benefit is automatically terminated on the day you make your UC claim.
You will be paid your UC at the end of your Assessment Period plus 7 days. The amount will include your Housing Element and you are supposed to be responsible for the rent reaching the landlord.
I quote from Gov.uk on Universal Credit....
"Universal Credit prepares claimants for the world of work in which 75% of employees are paid monthly. It also encourages claimants to take responsibility for their own financial affairs. To that end, Universal Credit is paid in a single monthly sum to households who are expected to manage their own budgets."
If you would rather not be responsible for paying your rent to the landlord you can ask UC for a direct rent payment. This is known as an Alternative Payment Arrangement (APA) as per quote below...
" 1. Types of Alternative Payment Arrangements (APAs)
APAs are for claimants who cannot manage their single monthly payment and there is a risk of financial harm to the claimant or their family.
The move to a single monthly household payment is a significant change to the way most benefits are currently paid.
The following APAs are available to help claimants who need additional support:

paying rent directly to their landlord, known as a ‘managed payment’

more frequent payments: twice a month – or in exceptional circumstances 4 times a month – instead of once a month
split payment of an award between partners in a couple

Please let me know if you have any questions,
David

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.