× Members

Backdating after new award

More
1 week 4 days ago #294654 by Diane
Backdating after new award was created by Diane
I was awarded higher rate care after a review and reconsideration it’s been almost a year but much appreciated , will I get that higher rate backdated to review application ,I’m on adult disability payment

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago #294659 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Backdating after new award
Hi Diane

I can't tell you how far it will be backdated because it varies from one person to another and what the decision maker says. If it's not backdated as far as you expect, you can always query it.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 week 4 days ago #294686 by RNine
Replied by RNine on topic Backdating after new award
Hi, my award was increased after a review which took a year from the form being sent back. My award letter states I have been awarded since the date of the decision.

My award over the years has been as follows, showing changes in rates although my needs and issues have not really changed;

2013 - 2016 - Standard Care/Enhanced Mobility
2016 - 2019 - Enhanced Care/Standard Mobility
2019 - 2024 - Standard Care
May 2023 - Review forms sent out to me and returned to PIP - the review forms were about a year later than expected but my claim was extended by the DWP a couple of times
March 2024 - PIP assessment phone call
April 2024 - current - Enhanced Care/Enhanced Mobility awarded with a light touch review after 10 years

Full rates have been applied since the Decision but no backdating has occurred. I rang the DWP and asked about this and they said I would have to go through a Mandatory Reconsideration and I could lose my current award.

I do not know why I received different rates every time but maybe I did not put myself across properly and there was often discrepancies in the assessment reports. In 2019 I went to tribunal but the DWP decision was upheld. Sadly the write up from the Tribunal was little better than the assessors report and I felt bullied when one of the male members of the tribunal asked what I would do if I found myself alone in a strange part of town. I replied I would not get into that situation. He asked if it did happen would I ask a stranger for directions? I replied no. To which he asked "what if it was a woman? With kids?" I replied I didn't know. This was reported as I would have no problems getting directions from a stranger. I do not think either the questioning is appropriate, or the fact that even if I did it would cause me major distress. There were other discrepancies in the written report from the Tribunal but I did not have the strength to fight any further. I think many people give up due to the extreme stress it causes, and the very real prospect of losing everything as it has a knock on effect on other benefits.

However I found this;-
It is an excerpt (A4365) from ADM A4:Supercession, Suspension and Termination available at ADM A4: Supersession, suspension and termination (publishing.service.gov.uk)

DM’s own initiative A4365 Where a DM supersedes on their own initiative to deal with a change of circumstances and the result is advantageous to the claimant the supersession takes effect
1. for ESA and JSA, from the beginning of the benefit week in which action was started with a view to supersession
2. for PIP,
2.1 the date on which action was started with a view to supersession e.g. the date the review form was issued or
2.2 where the required period has not been satisfied, from the date on which the conditions for a higher rate of PIP was first satisfied
3 3. for UC, the first day of the AP in which action was started with a view to supersession

4. 1 UC, PIP, JSA & ESA (D&A) Regs, Sch 1, Part 1, para 10; 2 Part 2, para 18; 3 Part 2, para 12 4 Part 3, para 29 A4366 It will often be useful for the DM to make a note of the date they first noticed that action was needed to deal with a change so that there is evidence of the basis for the effective date subsequently used.
Can anyone explain this to me in English please as it seems to state that backdating should be paid from the date the review form was received by DWP? Or at least the date the conditions for a higher rate of PIP were first satisfied? I may be misunderstanding this. But is this is the case then does this need to be a Mandatory Reconsideration as it seems to be an error on the part of the PIP DM? I am reluctant to go forward with a mandatory reconsideration as I am afraid I will lose everything.

I have read that many other people ring up and get their award backdated - I was asked if I wanted to do a MR but could lose everything so I refused - I just cannot go through that kind of stress. Others have been told there will be no backdating as they would not claw back money from claimants if the award was reduced, yet other people report having to repay money.

Finally it would just be useful to know if there is an actual procedure and backdating is not just at the whim of a DM.

More
1 week 3 days ago #294688 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Backdating after new award
Hi Denise

Please change your forum name - because you have used your email address, which can be seen on the forum and on the internet. benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum#two

You have a been awarded a Enhanced Care and Mobility. You certainly do not want to challenge that award as you have been awarded for the next ten years, with a light touch review.

Your issue is that your award has not been backdated to when you sent in the review form and that it has taken a year to process. You can ask them to look at backdating it to when you submitted your review form, but you need to put in large letters that you are satisfied with your current award and that you are not putting in for a Mandatory Reconsideration. Is there a set procedure for this? - No there isn't.

If you had put in for a change of circumstances when they extended your review date instead of completing the review form when it arrived -they would have backdated the increase to the date of the change of circumstances. You said that your health hasn't changed, so of course, you didn't put in for a change of circumstances (and you didn't know that perhaps you should have done)

I did look at the whole document you sent in part of this, but it is outside the remit of this forum, and my understanding of the document could be incorrect and give the wrong impression.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: RNine

More
1 week 2 days ago #294729 by RNine
Replied by RNine on topic Backdating after new award
Hi I have just realised - I thought I had it as not showing in my settings. I have tried to change my username but it won't let me and tells me I have to contact a site administrator and I can't find out how to do that so am replying here. Many apologies for the inconvenience.

More
1 week 2 days ago #294743 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Backdating after new award
Hi denise

At the top of the page, if you click on the tab called "About" it will highlight a dropdown box, click on contact and then on who you want to contact such as technical support.

Gary

The following user(s) said Thank You: RNine

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.