× Members

Thank You

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #294477 by Kirstie BL
Thank You was created by Kirstie BL
Thank you to everyone who has developed the guides for navigating the PIP form. 12 months ago my husband had his PIP application rejected with 0 points in all categories. He has had Alzheimer's for the last 6 years and the telephone consultation resulted in comments that because he was still driving that this was a highly functioning cognitive skill and that he was choosing not to manage money himself he didn't qualify. We asked for a mandatory reconsideration and he forgot to tell me that this had been refused so I missed the opportunity to take it to a tribunal.

I waited 12 months and in the interim his long standing back issues were diagnosed as severe spinal stenosis.

Reapplied and he has been awarded enhanced PIP in both living and mobility categories (the spinal stenosis has affected his walking a lot in the last 12 months so this was new)

Learning to use the right way to describe the challenges he faces has definitely meant that this award was made.

At his telephone assessment I made it clear that the issues with his memory was more short term - so the fact that he had been driving for nearly 50 years meant that it was a long term memory. We also made it clear that although the car is not specifically adapted we had changed to an SUV with higher seats and an automatic gearbox to enable him to continue to drive.

He reaches pension age in 10 months time and the award is for 10 years.

Without the guidance in this forum I am sure we would not have been successful!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robbie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #294486 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Thank You
Hi Kristie BL

Many congratulations to both of you. I am so glad to hear that you found the guides so useful. You are absolutely right - knowing how to use the right language is a big part of the battle. So glad that you won after having previously been refused. Thanks for taking the trouble to tell of your experience - it's always useful for other members to read.

You should never have to go through this again, because in ten years time it will be a light touch review, because of his age. It's also good that you got the enhanced mobility now - because once a person reaches pension age, they can't get enhanced mobility unless, like your husband it is already in place. So well done.

BIS

Tags: @RESULT @PIP

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.