× Members

will they use my daughters assessment against me

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #294413 by Chrystal
Hi there ,
I just received the PA4 for my 16 year old daughters health care assessment , whilst he has scored her quite fairly I’m concerned for myself , I get pip , throughout his form he has wrote mother does eg washes her hair , helps with personal care helps get her dressed , I don’t actually do this as I can’t as I have a disability myself. Her dad and older sister help with her personal care needs , so my question is this , he has assumed I do as I did the assessment with my daughter , but I don’t , will dwp use this report against me with my own pip claim to take my pip award away ? What do I do , . I don’t help with personal care , but helping her out her arm in a jumper is different to me putting my arm in a jumper I don’t do her personal care but doing things for yourself is different to someone else , do I mention this to the dwp about the report ? Please help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #294416 by BIS
Hi Chrystal

Whenever you have your review, they will look at your form and any additional evidence. They won't suddenly look at your daughter's form and see what was written on her review. I honestly don't think you should even worry about it.

It usually only becomes an issue if a PIP claimant also gets a Carers Allowance for a spouse or child. Then, the DWP will sometimes question how, if they are disabled, they are able to care for the person. Some people have been able to show that they still need PIP for their own disabilities alongside their caring duties, and they continue to be awarded both benefits.

You didn't say whether you claim Carers Allowance for your daughter. If you do - then the DWP would probably ask you at your next review - how you manage that - but they still won't be looking at her form to see what you said.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #294419 by Chrystal
Thank you , so much I honestly could cry , I’m so angry with the health assessment person , he has said I wash her hair , but has said a family member helps her get in and out the bath , but he’s said me and my husband help her get up in the morning and with personal care , can I add on the pip form I clearly wrote who does what , very clearly , it is in fact my eldest daughter who is 25 who helps with her personal care . I don’t receive careers allowance but I do receive the carers element of universal credit as my husband works and I’m in receipt of contributions based esa . Will the carers element of universal credit be flagged , I might add I asked a case worker when applying for pip for my daughter if me getting pip would go against me and if i should put a different number , she said no it was fine to use my number that I use for pip, she said if I was doing things for my daughter that I couldn’t do for myself it might raise eyebrows , but my review has just been reviewed and my daughter has been on indefinite dla for years sorry to be transparent , should I put a different telephone number for my daughters claim do you think

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #294422 by BIS
Hi Chrystal

I know you're scared, but I know very few people who don't get reports peppered with mistakes.

No, I don't think the universal credit element will be flagged. But even if someone queried it, you just say the assessor was mistaken in thinking you physically helped your daughter.

Don't let this make you ill or cause you to worry about what might happen. You can only deal with things if they happen.

If you try and do things like change numbers or write to the DWP, you are flagging something that might never be an issue. I know it's hard, but I would try and let it go.

However, you have to do what feels right for you. If you want to write and say the assessor was incorrect, do so—but be aware that there is always a small risk that someone will then decide to review your case. Last year, one of our members wanted to correct a similar thing, and the DWP then insisted on a review when it wasn't even due, and they bitterly regretted it. I'm not saying that will happen to you, but it could.

My advice remains the same. You have to do whatever feels right for you.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.