× Members

Unable to pay NS ESA not enough NI contributions

More
1 month 1 week ago #294281 by nada
I'm struggling to understand a letter I received from Job Centre Plus and nobody there has been able to explain so hopefully someone here can help here. I made a claim for New Style ESA as I was made redundant and am too sick to work due to long term health problems. I'm unable to claim UC due to having over £16k in savings (mostly from my redundancy pay and PILON).

The letter I received states "We cannot pay you because you have not paid, or been credited with, enough National Insurance Contributions.)

If I understand correctly:
Current Benefit year: 2024
Relevant Tax Years: 2021-2022 and 2022-2023

If I check my NI record I see
2022 to 2023
Full year
National Insurance credits: 52 weeks

2021 to 2022
Full year
Paid employment: £722.43
National Insurance credits: 8
weeks

I don't understand why this does not qualify me for NS ESA as I have a full year of contributions from credits or paid employment for both tax years. Could someone explain please?

Additionally I was off sick for a significant period and returned back to work just after the start of the 2023-2024 tax year. My NI record shows
2023 to 2024
Full year
Paid employment: £2,014.64
National Insurance credits: 2 weeks

Assuming it is correct I'm not eligible for NS ESA now. Would this mean if I'm not eligible for NS ESA now could I apply again in the new benefit year and meet the criteria?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #294295 by Gary
Hi nada

I have answered your question in your previous post; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/kunena/10-dla-...contributions#294280

If you applied for NS ESA in the new benefit year, you would still have to meet the qualifying criteria.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid