× Members

Unable to pay NS ESA not enough NI contributions

More
1 month 1 week ago #294281 by nada
I'm struggling to understand a letter I received from Job Centre Plus and nobody there has been able to explain so hopefully someone here can help here. I made a claim for New Style ESA as I was made redundant and am too sick to work due to long term health problems. I'm unable to claim UC due to having over £16k in savings (mostly from my redundancy pay and PILON).

The letter I received states "We cannot pay you because you have not paid, or been credited with, enough National Insurance Contributions.)

If I understand correctly:
Current Benefit year: 2024
Relevant Tax Years: 2021-2022 and 2022-2023

If I check my NI record I see
2022 to 2023
Full year
National Insurance credits: 52 weeks

2021 to 2022
Full year
Paid employment: £722.43
National Insurance credits: 8
weeks

I don't understand why this does not qualify me for NS ESA as I have a full year of contributions from credits or paid employment for both tax years. Could someone explain please?

Additionally I was off sick for a significant period and returned back to work just after the start of the 2023-2024 tax year. My NI record shows
2023 to 2024
Full year
Paid employment: £2,014.64
National Insurance credits: 2 weeks

Assuming it is correct I'm not eligible for NS ESA now. Would this mean if I'm not eligible for NS ESA now could I apply again in the new benefit year and meet the criteria?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #294295 by Gary
Hi nada

I have answered your question in your previous post; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/kunena/10-dla-...contributions#294280

If you applied for NS ESA in the new benefit year, you would still have to meet the qualifying criteria.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.