× Members

Universal credit , issues application disabled son

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #294196 by battyboo
Adult son. Cared for 24 /7 by myself his mum ,gies to a daycentre.Severe learning disabilities autism fragile x syndrome.I do all personal care etc , he cannot cook or look after him self at all , like a child .Aged 34 .
We have moved area so had to claim UC .

1. First problem -Having problems with journal as I have to complete it for him , but ridiculously have had to agree to work commitments on his journal to continue claim.
Any advice please.

2. Home visit tomorrow from DWP , who wants to see him ?so had to agree to that .
3. Council tax benefits have stated we are both working age so will only pay 75 per cent of claim .. Thank you in advance .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #294198 by David
Hi battyboo,
The home visit by the DWP is important as you can request that you are made the appointee for your son. Being appointee only applies to the DWP and means you can look after all DWP Benefits for your son.
So you can complete UC journal entries in your own name.. Being appointee also makes it a lot easier to administer medical assessments for your son.
Once you have been made appointee you can ask for his Benefits to be paid into your bank account.

I am unable to answer your Council Tax question. Local Authorities are allowed to vary their Council Tax Reduction schemes so it would be a good idea to query initially with the Council Tax department and if you are not happy, refer to your local Welfare Advice agency.

David

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by David.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #294220 by battyboo
Thank you for the advice.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.