× Members

Housing benefit ending (change of address imminent and implications for ESA

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #294155 by Susie
Hello,
I am in receipt of Employment & Support Allowance (income based), Housing Benefit & council Tax Benefit. I live in a city.
I am being evicted after 26 years from my flat and I intend to live at my Mums which is outside the city (in a different local authority area). The housing benefit claim will obviously come to an end when I move out.

I do not intend to make a claim for UC when I move to Mums. Instead my plan it to just let the housing benefit claim drop and the council tax benefit, and then I will just continue with the ESA claim alone.

I am aware that when I move to Mums, I need to report the change of address to ESA.

My question is, if I move to my Mums - which is in a different area (two hours away from where i currently reside) and I tell the DWP of my change of address, will this affect my ESA? Basically, will I forced onto Universal Credit? Or will the ESA claim remain?
Thanks so much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #294183 by Gary
Hi Susie

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

Initially there willbe no change to your ESA, as you rightly pointed out you just need to report a change of address.

Unfortunately you will at some stage be sent an invitation to apply for UC as IR ESA will be closing, you will be entitled to transitional protection if you apply for UC within 3 months on the of the letter.

You may want to seek advice before you apply for UC.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.