× Members

Moving borough which will mean migrating to UC

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #293986 by DRS2018
I am moving to a room in landlords house.
It is a 3 bedroom flat but one of the bedrooms is his office.
Currently I rent a flat on my own and I receive ESA Support Component and highest rate of PIP.
I don't have a carer.

The borough I'm moving to uses the UC system.

Will there be a huge change in the benefits I recieve?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #293990 by David
Hi DRS2018,
The short answer is yes.
You will be going through what is called natural migration to Universal Credit rather than managed migration. If you get Income based ESA ( as opposed to Conts. or New Style ESA ) you will get UC including the LCWRA element.
It is important for retaining the LCWRA element that you don't close your Income based ESA claim yourself, as when you claim UC the ESA will be automaticallly closed.
If you currently receive Housing Benefit you should get a 2 week run on after claiming UC. Your Housing Benefit claim will be closed and your rent to the new landlord will be paid to you via Universal Credit.
You can try using a Benefits Calculator such as Entitledto.co.uk
If all this is a bit confusing please get in touch with your local Welfare Rights agency.
Your PIP is not affected by this. You just need to phone PIP and let them know of your new address.
David

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by David.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DRS2018

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #293995 by DRS2018
Does a room in the landlords flat where he will be resident count as 'Shared Accommodation'? I'm guessing yes but I need to be sure.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #293999 by David
Yes, It will be shared accomodation. You will be a lodger in your landlord's home. You will find advice on the subject from the charity Shelter in the link below.
england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/lodgers

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: DRS2018

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.