× Members

Video Assessment and being able to type and not speak

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #293954 by Bea
I am autistic and very often go into situational mutism when highly anxious. I find it nearly impossible to speak, its very difficult for me to process what others are saying.
My husband is attending my video assessment with me and so will be able to help me process and interpret the questions, but \i am very worried I just will not be able to answer them.
Typing is usually my form of communication, but I am guessing they do not have this capacity or allow it?
How do non-speakers get through this part if they do not use BSL?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #293965 by BIS
Hi Bea

Unfortunately, they are not set up for you to be able to type answers. You have a couple of options here. You could ask them to change the type of assessment and ask for a paper-based assessment explaining why. Your husband could also add his experience to that request. They may refuse, but they have to consider it. If they turn down your request, you can make a second one. You do need to make clear that it is a formal request and follow up on any request in writing. Of course, you may feel that you are too close to your assessment date to try and stop the video assessment. If your husband is with you, make sure that the assessor is aware at the very beginning of the problems you have. Depending on the assessor, you may have no issue with your husband speaking on your behalf. If you start talking and you suddenly can't speak at all - do not panic. Your husband needs to explain what has happened and the assessor can decide how to continue. This is part of your condition, and it's up to the assessor to handle any difficulties that occur. I hope that you have put in a request for the assessment to be recorded. Your husband should do a cover recording of the audio if possible.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.