× Members

Back Pay from delayed PIP review

More
2 months 1 day ago #293749 by Kim
Hello, I sm writing for my son who receives PIP and ESA. He has received both for several years, with full amount on Mental Health category. He has had some awful experiences with past reviews, one of which was so bad it sent him into a mental health crisis and set him back many months in his mental health care. Hr has subsequently had a stroke and has serious issues with his back which both affect his mobility.

His PIP review was submitted in October 2023 with the new criteria and evidence that his mental health had also declined. He has today (July 2024) received a letter (the first acknowledgement) stating his review is still not completed and his PIP has been extended to August 2025.

My question is this, if he is assessed as being eligible for the mobility element of PIP, will that then be backdated to the date he submitted his claim? His costs have increased significantly over the last two years due to his PTSD and mobility issues and he is now practically housebound as he can no longer afford the travel costs (Ubers) to get out and he cannot use public transport.

Thanking you for your advice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 day ago #293756 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Back Pay from delayed PIP review
Hi Kim,

It should be yes - When I put in for my original claim, it took close to two years to complete, but I was awarded a large backdated lump sum - just remember that if you claim UC, and it affects your savings limits, that you only have a year to use it before this is taken into consideration and then classified as savings income, meaning you'll get less UC if over the limit of £6,000 to £16,000.

Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 1 day ago #293762 by Kim
Replied by Kim on topic Back Pay from delayed PIP review
Thanks Chris. He doesn't get UC yet, I'm sure that day is coming though, whether he wants it or not!

More
2 months 6 hours ago #293769 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Back Pay from delayed PIP review
Hi Kim,

Yeah, people are being migrated onto it and you must move within 3 months I believe.

Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.