× Members

Universal credit - first "0" and amount in the negative

More
2 months 1 week ago #293435 by Jane52
Am in my second month of universal credit claims, under managed migration from working tax credit. Am self employed so earnings vary each month. Also can wait on earnings from companies. Another month I will earn a lot more. I understand that once you score "0" three consecutive months you lose universal credit/transitional protection. My savings are above £16,000
1)Do I need to contact companies who pay me to see if they will pay me differently i.e. every four weeks
2)UC does not seem to take into account disability whereas WTC did
3)I paid off some tax this month - that appeared as an expense? Would that count against me?
4)I also receive a dependents pension which UC say I do not need to declare in what I declare as they already know about it. But are they deducting things like dependents pension from UC. WTC did.
Any clarification of above helpful as seeing if there is a way I can manage my accounting so I keep UC until May 2025
Thankyou
Jane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #293449 by Gary
Hi Jane52

Your questions are outside the remit of the forum.

We would advise you to seek advice from your local Welfare Rights organisation; advicelocal.uk where they can take all your circumstances into consideration.

Self-employed and UC is a bit more complicated as you have to take into account minimum income floorunless you are in a 12 month start-up period.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 1 week ago #293457 by Jane52
Hello Gary

I am in the 12 month start up period. Does that make a difference

Jane

More
2 months 1 week ago #293462 by Chris
Hi Jane,

This is complex - I only know that when your savings are affected by a backdated claim amount such as a DWP payment, that you usually have 12 months to get it either below £6,000 to claim full UC, or between £6,001 and £16,000 where every £250 over £6,000 reduces your UC by £4.35 per month.

Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 1 week ago #293554 by David
Paying tax and NI should be a good thing as it counts as an expense and lowers your income and so should increase your UC. You should have received an explanatory guide from the DWP such as this one.

www.housingsystems.co.uk/Portals/0/Docum...017-08-27-075642-640

More
2 months 6 days ago #293577 by Jane52
Hello Jones1988
Thank you for reply and link which I shall print out and study
Did not realise paying tax counted as an expense until it was too late as I had not earned much that month due to the way I get paid as a self employed person. That is what put me in the negative.
Do you know if it is bad to be in the negative when you are claiming universal credit and what it means when they say they will carry it forward to your next claim.
Main thing I want to know is what I need to do to not score "0" again
Thank you Jane

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid