× Members

What to expect at first claimant commitment interview

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293295 by SomeonesMother
I'm applying for UC on behalf of my learning disabled daughter. She has proved her identity - I had to accompany her to the job centre and handle the paperwork. She now has her first claimant committment interview next week. I will have to accompany her as she can't travel independently. I should have a Fit Note form Med3 by the date of her interview. Do I give it to the job centre? Scan it in and upload it on her UC journal?
What can I expect at the interview?
Thank you in advance of any advice, very stressful for me, not for my daughter who doesn't understand.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293298 by Gary
Hi SomeonesMother

In regards to your question about fit note, I would do both, try and scan it on to your daughter's journal and give a copy to your daughters workcoach.

The conditions for claiming Universal Credit are set out in a "claimant commitment" that most people will have to accept at the beginning of their claim. If you are part of a couple, you will each have a separate claimant commitment that may be different from each other's.

People who may not need to accept a commitment include those who lack capacity, those who have exceptional circumstances  where it would be unreasonable to expect them to agree a commitment (this is decided by the work coach on a case by case basis), or, From 15 February 2022 people with a terminal illness and less than 6 months to live were also excluded, and from 4 April 2023 this was extended to 12 months.

There are 4 conditionality groups:

* Group 1. No work related requirements
* Group 2. Work-focused interview requirement
* Group 3. Work preparation requirement
* Group 4. All work-related requirements

www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Claimant-commitment-Universal-Credit

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: SomeonesMother

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293318 by David
Also a DWP appointee doesn't have to accept a claimant commitment and nor does the UC claimant that the DWP appointee represents.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• UB40 Rumrunner
2 months 2 weeks ago #293355 by UB40 Rumrunner
Replied by UB40 Rumrunner on topic What to expect at first claimant commitment interview
Hope this is of some help.

A claimant and a work coach need to agree on a Claimant Commitment in the context of receiving benefits, such as Universal Credit, in the UK. The Claimant Commitment is a record of the responsibilities that the claimant must meet in order to receive their benefits. This agreement outlines the steps the claimant needs to take to prepare for work, look for a job, or increase their earnings if they are already working.

Here's a breakdown of the process:

Initial Meeting: The claimant attends an initial meeting with a work coach.

Discussion: The claimant and the work coach discuss the claimant's circumstances, capabilities, and job goals.

Agreement: Together, they agree on the activities the claimant will undertake to improve their work prospects. This forms the basis of the Claimant Commitment.

Signing: The claimant signs the Claimant Commitment, indicating their agreement to comply with the outlined activities.

''Both parties need to agree on the Claimant Commitment. If the claimant does not agree or fails to comply with the agreed activities, their benefits could be sanctioned or stopped. ''The work coach’s role is to ensure that the 'commitments are realistic and tailored to the claimant's situation,' while also encouraging steps towards employment or increased earnings.

If any changes in circumstances occur, the Claimant Commitment can be reviewed and adjusted accordingly.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #293370 by SomeonesMother
Replied by SomeonesMother on topic What to expect at first claimant commitment interview
Thank you. I can't find an option to upload the scan on my daughter's journal. I will take it with us at our first commitment meeting next week. Should I take any other evidence? My daughter has an EHCP (Education, Health and Care Plan) and a Social Care plan.

More
2 months 1 week ago #293399 by BIS
Hi SomeonesMother

Take any information that you 'think' might be useful. If it's not used it doesn't matter - but you'll be kicking yourself later if you wish you had taken it along. I always think it's better to err on the side of caution and take everything! Hope it goes well for you.

BIS

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.