× Members

PIP MR

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293101 by marns
PIP MR was created by marns
received my decision letter and scored 6 points overall. I have asked for a MR and will be following up in writing in more detail. I scored 2 on preparing food, descriptor d. needs prompting to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal. even though I told them due to my compulsions I cannot prepare and cook a meal and that my husband does this for me.

this is what I have written so far

I believe I should have been awarded 8 points for this activity because I cannot prepare and cook food. I am not able to prepare and cook food at all due to my OCD. Anything I touch sends me into a compulsion because of my fear of germs and the intrusive thoughts that I will get severely sick. the last time I attempted to cook a meal I could not get past preparing my food due to my rituals after touching something, I stood there each time washing my hands for 10minutes and my intrusive thoughts caused me so much distress I had to stop. I could not make a meal to an acceptable standard, within a reasonable timescale and I would not be able to repeat this activity due to my compulsions and intrusive thoughts. As stated on the form and to the HP my husband prepares and cooks all my meals.

Is this ok for a MR or should it be more detailed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293112 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic PIP MR
Hi marns

You are not actually answering the question;

The test for descriptor 1 preparing a meal comprises preparing and cooking a simple meal for one using fresh ingredients. So, you would need to be able to peel and chop veg, cook meat or vegetarian equivalent. You might also need to make a sauce so standing at the cooker and stirring could be required. The items will need to be properly cooked not overdone or raw. Likewise they have to be done so that they are ready altogether to put on a plate. Hence timing and understanding how to assess whether food is cooked is also within the test.

You may also need to be able to read packets etc.

Even the 'can use a microwave' descriptor requires you to use that solely to cook a 'fresh' meal not reheat a ready meal.

All descriptors (not just food prep) also require 4 criteria to be met - all 4 must apply;

~ Safety
~ Reasonable time
~ Acceptable standard
~ Repeatedly across the whole day as many times as reasonable

You haven't specified what your disability is that requires you to have assistance. You will need to be able to quantify why this is. It might be safety, you can't peel or chop due to weak wrists etc, perhaps you cut or burn yourself (this would fail safety)

Perhaps due to weak wrists etc you are simply too slow (do you take more than twice the time of an able bodied person?)

Maybe fatigue or pain is a problem, or you get distracted and forget food and burn it? That could mean not repeatable, not safe, and if you have pain or burnt food non Acceptable standard.

Maybe you spill food everywhere due to shaking hands this probably would suggest non acceptable standard?

Perhaps you have mental health problems, and can't understand cooking times, produce inedible food (non Acceptable) because its burnt, overcooked, over salty or over spiced?

I have given some examples if the sort of problems that could occur do any of these apply to you, or a similar scenario?

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendy Woo, Anji

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293120 by marns
Replied by marns on topic PIP MR
ok, so I have Obsessive compulsive disorder. before it got to the severity it is today, I used to burn my food because of my intrusive thoughts that I would get food poisoning, this is why my husband now cooks for me.
so do I apply this scenario to the descriptors?

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293136 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic PIP MR
Hi marns

We cannot answer your question as we do not know you or how your condition affects you. We would advise you to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation, they will be able to take all your circumstances into consideration when giving you advice.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid