× Members

Housing Benefit Trigger for UC

More
4 months 1 week ago #291517 by Caledoniansmurf
Housing Benefit Trigger for UC was created by Caledoniansmurf
Hello
I'm hoping someone can clarify our situation:

Hubby gets ESA for both of us with I believe the Severe Disability Premium. PIP High and High.

I get PIP Low and Low. Being transferred over to ADP.

We get Housing Benefit & Council Tax (we still have to pay a bit each month)

I know we will migrate over to UC at some stage when the "Powers that Be" decide but:
Our health is getting worse and although we bumble along together, it is obvious that our housing needs have changed & we have made the decision to go into sheltered housing.

We are seriously fed up of having no quality of life and have chosen to move out with our Local Authority Area, but still remain in Scotland.

I have tried till my head aches to work out if this would trigger the dreaded natural migration (working out the numbers it looks like we would end up with almost half of what we get - and also have to pay rent - made me angry at The Powers to say the least)

Some say: Yes it would trigger. As it is a change of Council Area.
Others say: No as it's a move to Sheltered Housing even if a change in area.

Many contradict themselves by saying one thing but then the other - cue cartoon birds flying round my head!

Any words of wisdom Much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #291539 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Housing Benefit Trigger for UC
Hi Caledoniansmuf

Thank you for the question, we would advise you to seek advice from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk , they will be able to take all your circumstances into consideration.

I cannot give you an exact answer but I can give you some pointers.

If you move local authority areas then that usually will trigger a move to UC.

You have been informed that if you move to shelter housing then it does not apply? this is not exactly true which makes it confusing as it depends on the nature of the sheltered housing. Some sheltered housing offer miminal support whereas other schemes residents have a care plan, these schemes are usually exempt from UC.

Seek advice from your local Welfare Rights Organisation to get the correct information.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caledoniansmurf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.