× Members

DLA existing claim change in condition

More
4 months 1 week ago #291503 by lk1
I am 71 and have been on DLA Low rate - care component for 23 years! My condition has deteriorated greatly over this period and I have been advised by my GP to inform DWP so that I can be reassessed to a higher rate. I live abroad and have done prior to Brexit, so was able to export my care component - BUT NOT MY HIGH RATE MOBILITY PAYMENT, which was stopped on my leaving the UK. I was retired from work on health grounds in 2004 from the NHS with 30 years service. I have many additional health problems compared to my original claim and have been trying for a long time to contact the DWP. They never answer my calls, always engaged and no response to a handwritten letter sent by post. There is no email address (that I can find) to enable me to contact them about this and today - I found this site! I hope someone can help and advise? Good morning from Sunny Cyprus!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #291504 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic DLA existing claim change in condition
Hi lk1,

You could try 0800 121 4433 to explain your circumstances, however there usually is a long wait on the phone. Whilst also you're correct about the email address as such, I myself, and some others that I am aware of have had responses to certain questions from: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

As for an answer to your other questions, I have approved your post, and hopefully someone will be able to advise you in relation to the higher rate component.

Hope this helps,

Regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: lk1

More
4 months 1 week ago #291512 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic DLA existing claim change in condition
Hello lk1 from here in a now dry, if not sunny UK.

Unfortuantely the DWP do not consider email to be a secure method of communication with the outside their own walls.

The phone number Chris gave you is actually the number for reporting a change of circumstances if you are on PIP (or indeed for almost any other PIP related matter). The number for DLA helpline is 0800 121 4600 if you were born after 8 April 1948, 0800 731 0122 if you were born on or before 8 April 1948. I know the former applies to you, but putting in both in case someone else who is older is also reading this.

I don't know how those numbers work when ringing from outside the UK. Sorry about that. It is possible that you might have a geographic phone number on letters which they have sent you since you are living in a sunnier place.

However, I would recommend writing again to them, and sending it the equivalent of recorded delivery. Any additional claim should be back dated to when you inform them, so that information is worth having.

The addresses are, for people like you who were born after 8 April 19148
Department for Work & Pensions
Disability Living Allowance
Freepost RUEY-BBKJ-SXJH
Mail Handling Site A
Wolverhampton
WV98 2GJ
UK

And for people who are older it is
Freepost DWP Disability Living Allowance 65, UK

I really am not expert at international post, but if you have someone in the UK who could send the letter for you it might be more likely to arrive???

I hope you are successful in this,
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris, lk1

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.