× Members

Managed Migration to UC and new Descriptors as of 2025

More
4 months 1 week ago #291465 by micksville
I hope moderators can shed a little light on this. As we now know ESA claimants will start getting migration letters from September, it crossed my mind that as those in SG of ESA get migrated before the new descriptors of WCA come into effect in 2025, they will go into equivalent of SG in UC. Might that mean that only LCWRA legacy claimants might be moved for remainder of this year?
I ask this because it would seem to make no sense to migrate SG claimants this year then have the administrative burden of moving them again within the UC system, to adapt their situations to the new rules governing the relevant descriptors of WCA which are changing and potentially downgrading them to a lower group.
Or, would the DWP simply be able to apply the medical information they hold on their systems for claimants in those descriptors that are changing, just by updating their claim criteria without a fresh review or medical? After all, claimants are advised to always report changes in condition and keep their info current as it were. Or is it likely the DWP would need to send claimants for fresh reviews once these WCA changes come on stream in 2025 to ensure matters run smoothly from a legal viewpoint?
I have to admit that in my case I have fresh medical issues in addition to deterioration of the issues for which I originally claimed ESA, since I was last reviewed quite a few years ago, and although the DWP are aware of these issues re PIP and before that DLA, I didn't think to update ESA themselves as I have long been in SG and it would not have led to my getting a higher award and certainly not to being downgraded to a lesser one, so it seemed academic. I envisage that when I get the migration notice and it asks if I have any health conditions which might mean I struggle in the job market etc there will be an opportunity to relate this to them either via the online application form for UC or to any personal/job advisor at the initial interview. I haven't seen an example of the UC application form so don't know if it contains, like it's precursor the ESA 50 paper form, a box for giving additional information.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #291481 by Gary
Hi micksville

I will try and answer your questions;

1) When ESA WRAG/Support claimants migrate to UC they should be placed in the LCW/LCWRA group without having to produce a "fit note".

2) LCW/LCWRA is indefinite until the claimant is re-assessed.

3) Until new changes come in, claimants will be assessed under current rules

4) UC application is done online by default although there are exceptions.

5) The UC50 form is exactly the same as the ESA50 form apart from the name, which is why B&W guides will not change.

Unfortunately we cannot speculate as we do not yet know the details of any changes.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: micksville, Doomeister , george

More
4 months 1 week ago #291487 by micksville
Thanks Gary That clears most of it up. I take it from your reply that even if migrated post 2025 when new WCA criteria are up and running I would go into UC LCWRA group automatically by virtue of my being in SG of ESA currently. Then I would need a medical review to determine my status going forward. Have I interpreted that correctly?

More
4 months 1 week ago #291489 by micksville
What I meant by the last question Gary is would a claimant need to undergo a medical review regardless of when the migration takes place ( paper or face 2 face) before any new status is decided either under current criteria or post 2025 under proposed new criteria? Hope that makes sense though I appreciate there might not be definitive advice available on this scenario yet.

More
4 months 1 week ago #291491 by Gary
Hi micksville

You should be placed in the LCWRA group automatically, we have come across cases where this has not happened and have had to apply for a MR.

You should at some stage be sent a review form but remember LCWRA is paid indefinite until you are re-assessed and found fit for work or placed in the LCW group.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: micksville

More
4 months 1 week ago #291492 by Gary
Hi micksville

It's a hard question to answer as an award is indefinite until a review takes place, when that will be, no idea, I have clients who have not had a review in over 10 years, others get a review every 2 years.

Gary

The following user(s) said Thank You: micksville

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.