× Members

Attendance Allowance Help

More
4 months 1 week ago #291425 by Mags72
Attendance Allowance Help was created by Mags72
Good Morning All
I have not needed to ask for advice in a long time however, I do now.
About 6 months ago I was diagnosed with cancer 5 weeks ago my husband has been diagnosed with cancer.
The MacMillan Nurses have been amazing and on Tuesday gave my husband a booklet with all the support he and I will need in that booklet there was the number to contact the Maggie Centre for advice on AA they then gave me the *local* advice centre which turned out to be Housing Benefit before I tried to explain the situation the advisor asked *how long has he got when was he diagnosed*? I won't go on about what happened after suffice to say I was so distressed I had to terminate the conversation. I was not enquiring about AA for his cancer but the advisor wouldn't listen
This is the help I need
I receive PIP indefinitely for various conditions my husband is my carer however, we have become each other's carer the AA application would be for my husband for a very painful spinal issue he has had for years and now at the point he is struggling to walk hence his last visit for pain management he asked for a blood test which discovered his cancer.
Sorry this is long winded we just feel lost
Can my husband claim AA without it effecting my PIP?
We are elderly no family so any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

The help I need is

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #291455 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic Attendance Allowance Help
Hello Mags72 and I am so sorry to hear about your situation and your husbands.

The quick answer to your question is that it is possible for your husband to claim AA without it effecting your PIP.

I suspect the reason you were asked about how long your husband has is because if someone is very poorly and it would not be surprising if they did not last another year then it is possible to apply for AA (or PIP) under special rules. These make the whole process much less painful and much quicker. If you think this sadly applies to your husband you need to ask either your GP or a MacMillian nurse or doctor at the hospital to complete a form SR1 and send it to the DWP.

Again, if this applies to your husband, when you come to fill in the AA application form you need to fill in questions 1 - 11 and tick the box in question 12. You can then skip straight to question 45 which is almost the end of the form.

I hope this helps to explain things a little, but please do come back to us if you have any more questions.
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 months 1 week ago #291552 by Mags72
Replied by Mags72 on topic Attendance Allowance Help
Thank you so much for your help, I will ask our MacMillan nurse to assist me with the application

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.