× Members

Questions abotu cancelling PIP

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #291354 by sallym
Questions abotu cancelling PIP was created by sallym
I’d like to cancel my PIP due to change in circumstances. I’d like to be as prepared as possible before calling the helpline and would really appreciate it if anyone had answers to the following questions:

1) I am doing much better and am top of my mental health. When the agent asks me when this change occurred, how do I go about answering this? With mental health, things aren’t as sudden as moving to another country for example, where it happens on a specific date. How do I avoid them scrutinising when I got better and potentially even trying to make a case for me paying them back for previous months?

2) What questions am I likely to be asked over the phone?

3) Can I ask for the assessment form to be sent to a temporary address?

4) How long does it usually take for an assessment form to be sent?

5) Will I need to send any supporting documents along with my assessment form from a third person or is my testimonial enough?

Thank you so much!

Note: I know some people might question my decision to cancel PIP and urge me to keep it, but I have made my decision and am happy with it :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #291398 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Questions abotu cancelling PIP
Hi Sallym

So glad to hear that your mental health has improved.

When you ring the DWP about the change of circumstances - you will be talking to a non medical person - they won't be trying to claw back money. Just tell them you are informing them that you wish to cancel your claim immediately. If they do ask you when this change occurred (which they probably won't) - tell them it's the date you are making the call.

I don't understand your other questions. If you're cancelling your claim - that's it. There won't be any more forms or assessments of any kind. When the call is over - write to the DWP to confirm the date you informed them of your change of circumstances and the end of your claim. Keep a copy of the letter.

Wishing you the very best of luck

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluejay52, Charlie

More
4 months 1 week ago #291498 by sallym
Replied by sallym on topic Questions abotu cancelling PIP
Thank you for your response!

If you look up 'Tried to cancel PIP' on Reddit, you'll see one of the respondents refers to an assessment form that is sent after the request to cancel is made. I've read the same thing from other people as well.

More
4 months 1 week ago #291501 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic Questions abotu cancelling PIP
Hello Sallym,

I suspect the form which people are talking about is the one which the DWP normally send out when someone tells them that something has changed.

In your particular case this is nothing to be concerned about. Simply go through it and for each activity record that you now don't currently have any difficulties in this area. I would advise you to use the word 'currently' since if something bad happens and your mental health difficulties return it should make it easier to claim again. I would be amazed if they asked for any supporting evidence.

I have never known anyone having difficulty having a form sent to a different address. You don't need to explain that it is temporary. In my opinion that is just an additional complication.

I celebrate with you the fact that your mental health has improved to this point!
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.