× Members

Applying for Universal Credit query about medical evidence and LCWRA

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #291303 by janerg63
Hi,

Can someone please help me I feel really overwhelmed am not coping as I need to apply for Universal Credit soon.

I have had serious mental health problems for many years including feeling suicidal ( the most worrying aspect) I have complex trauma, depression and anxiety and currently have a psychiatrist and mental health nurse supporting me. I do have PIP but until recently was above the threshold for means tested benefits. I last had means tested benefits in 2012 and had income support at the time. I got money in a divorce settlement have continued to be too mentally unwell to work but my savings are getting low now. I feel really frightened as I know I am too ill to work or do work related activities my psychiatrist agrees but I don’t see my GP about my mental health. My psychiatrist has said he is happy to give supporting info and also provide initial sicknotes. I have looked at the guide but can someone please help me understand if a psychiatrist can provide sick notes for universal credit and if it is possible to provide information about substantial risk at the start of the process and how best to do this.
Many thanks I feel so frightened about this process it is adding to my suicidal thoughts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #291333 by Gary
Hi janerg63

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

When you apply for UC give your workcoach a fit note, also put a note on your journal that you have given your workcoach a fit note, make sure you note the date you give your work coach your fit note.

Giving your work coach your fit note starts the assessment period. You will be sent a form called a UC50 also known as a work capability assessment form, see our guides on how to complete; help-for-claimants/esa1

If you can get a good supporting letter from your psychiatrist which states that you suffer from overwhelming Psychological distress then you might not have to undergo an assessment.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: janerg63

More
4 months 1 week ago #291598 by janerg63
Hi Gary,

Many thanks for your response. I have read the guides but do struggle with my concentration due to my mental health issues. I have the higher rate for care with PIP and lower mobility (I found the benefits and work guides very helpful when applying) within the information provided for PIP I do have medical supporting information about experiencing overwhelming psychological distress and actually that the form filling process caused me distress as well as fear about a possible assessment (fortunately I was given the award with paper evidence only).

It fills me with fear filling in the forms and getting to the point having to go out to an appointment with a work coach. I don’t think I made it clear but I wanted to check if my psychiatrist or mental health nurse can write a fit note rather than my GP as I do not see my GP about my mental health and she does not know the severity of this.

Is it possible, very early in the application process for universal credit, to provide sick notes and supporting information from a mental health nurse and/ or psychiatrist regarding substantial risk, regarding increased suicide with stress of working and also applying for work, and about overwhelming psychological distress? I was hoping and praying I might be able to avoid an assessment and be put in LCWRA group (if it is decided I can be in this group) with as little stress as possible. I had a mini stroke last November and I really want to avoid stress as much as possible.

Will having PIP and evidence for this (awarded indefinitely in 2022) be taken in to account when applying?

I would really appreciate if you could help with the points above.

Thank you so much,
Jane

More
4 months 1 week ago #291615 by BIS
Hi Janerg63

If you follow the attached link from the NHS - it confirms who else is able to issue fit notes digital.nhs.uk/data-and-information/publ...ify%20a%20fit%20note.

Although when applying you can tell the DWP what you were awarded for PIP - it does not guarantee automatic placement in the LCWRA - nor does it guarantee they will agree to do a paper-based assessment. Make sure that you request one and get a letter from any health professional to back up your request.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: janerg63, Charlie

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #292021 by janerg63
Hi BIS,

Thank you so much for the information regarding sick notes and requesting a paper based assessment.

I was aware that having PIP would give no guarantees for Universal Credit. As previously stated I have serious mental health problems and because of this I went through hell applying for PIP - this added to my suicidal thoughts and urges. I was really helped by the Benefits and Work Guides but, despite this, I had to go through the stress of a mandatory review therefore I want to be as prepared as possible to get things right with my universal credit application.

I would really welcome any responses to the other points I made regarding timescale and guidance for providing supporting information. My savings are getting low therefore I have no choice but to apply for means tested benefits for the first time in over 10 years. I only see my psychiatrist once every 3 months therefore I am trying to get my head round what information it would be good for him to provide and at what stage in the process information from him and my psychiatric nurse may be provided.

I would really appreciate any advice to help me get my head round this and get as much relevant supporting information as possible from the professionals who support me. I am sure this would be helpful to any other members struggling with problems with concentration and a serious mental health condition too. Despite how hard it can be to apply for benefits I was hoping there could be some leniency if information regarding overwhelming distress and substantial risk could be provided early in the process but I am unsure if it is possible to provide this information at the very start of the process and, if it is, how to do this.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.
Jane

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #292053 by Gordon
j63

There will be an assessment, there are no circumstances where an award can be made without one but that does not mean that you will have to participate in the process, it is possible that those assessing you can conclude that you meet the criteria for an award based on the information you supply.

Once you provide a Fit Note a UC50 will be issued, questions 11-17 specifically deal with mental health issues, you can also be given an award if it is believed that there is Substantial Risk to you or others.

Best guess for a new claim is 13 weeks but it could easily be longer.

You need to have a look at our UC/ESA Claim guide to better understand your options, follow the Guides link at the top of the page.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: janerg63

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.