× Members

Supporting Evidence from GP or Health Professional

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #291238 by JustMe
Hello. New member here.

I have an odd question about what to do when you've never had an in-depth conversation with any health professional about how your health affects you?

I don't think any of the people I see have a real idea on how I manage (or don't manage).

What can I do?

I've received an ESA50 form even though I've been on ESA for years. I was having telephone meetings rather than going onto premises for Work-Related Activity due to vision issues (I'm visually impaired (Partially Sighted). The last two calls have been when something major either in the family or something else has happened so the calls were very short. Could this be the reason why I've received an ESA50 form after all this time?

The form has to be in with them by 15th May 2024. I intend to post it on either 13th or 14th by Next Day Delivery. I will have to just fill the form in and tell them I will get the supporting evidence to them later.

Any ideas would be very appreciated.

Thank you for reading this. As you know very well, it is not pleasant at all having to do this!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #291255 by BIS
Hi JustMe

Welcome to the forum. If you need to find your way around the site - have a look at the General FAQ benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/general

I can't tell you why you have received the ESA50 after all this time, apart from saying you are not alone and a lot of people suddenly find they unexpectedly receive a form. One reason is that the DWP have had a very large backlog so many people who should have had forms years ago are just starting to get them. I'm sorry that you are one of the unlucky ones!

Your question is not odd at all. Realistically, the majority of health professionals do not have the opportunity., time, or inclination to ask the type of questions that appear on an ESA form and many don't have an idea how their patients manage or don't manage. All you can do is write what you know. You are the expert in your condition/s, and no one knows more than you do about the challenges you face with being visually impaired. I imagine that unless your sight has deteriorated drastically, it's not something you will be discussing with your GP regularly. But try and get any up to date evidence that you can - but don't stress about it if you are unable to. Also, remind them that during the pandemic, support was non-existent, and many services have not recovered or have been available since. If you require help, but you're not getting it - say so.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlie

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #291291 by JustMe
Thank you BIS for your reply. It's encouraging just to know that there are people out there who really care about others' situations.

I'll tell you the latest on the situation.

I was wading through the 141 page guidance on the ESA50 and have reached page 48(?) making notes as I read through it. I admit I feel a little overwhelmed but find the guidance helpful. I decided that I will not be able to do a form to the best of my ability, so rather than risking making a big mess of it, I have composed a letter giving reasons whey the form cannot be filled out.

The problem is that the form should be in by 15th May and I am only going to be posting my explanation letter tomorrow (14th) by Next Day Delivery (or whatever the service is called). It is addressed to Wolverhampton so I don't know how long it will take to get to the individual who will make decisions.

Is there a chance they could go ahead and stop my benefit if the letter isn't seen by 15th? I hope not.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you again for your lovely reply and the warm welcome.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #291294 by Gordon
JustMe

I can well understand how intimidating the form can be but failing to return it provides the DWP with Good Cause to close your claim. It might actually be better to send in a partially completed form with a covering letter than no form at all.

Would your GP be willing to write a letter to the DWP along the lines of the form exacerbating your conditions and recommending that you be excused from completing it?

Otherwise, you are reliant on the DWP treating you as a vulnerable person but with no information on your current conditions and limitations you will be reliant on the reply that your GP Practice might make to a request for more information by the DWP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.