× Members

ARE PEOPLE BEING FORCED MIGRATED ONTO UC FROM CONTRIBUTION-BASED ESA?

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #291205 by MariW
Gordon,

I'm on CB ESA (Support Group). I'm not entitled to any income-related benefit. I'm terrified reading this thread. Will I be migrated to New Style ESA this year? Will I be reassessed? Am I even entitled? I've been disabled for most of my life with very few voluntary contributions only NI Credits from SDA and past IR ESA. If PIP ceases to be a cash payment I might be without any income.

Thanks, MW

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #291206 by Gordon
OK Guys

Let me make absolutely clear, ESA(CB) is not being migrated to UC, now or in the future. You can claim ESA(CB) and UC at the same time, they are completely separate benefits.

New Style ESA is the current version of contribution ESA, the criteria, payments and rules are exactly the same as ESA(CB). NS ESA is a completely separate benefit from UC and both can be claimed at the same time. The only difference is that the legislation for NS ESA has the same root as UC and the payment system is a modern one.

It is our understanding that ESA(CB) claimants who also receive a legacy benefit will have their ESA(CB) moved to NS ESA when that legacy benefit(s) are migrated to UC. The NS ESA will continue in payment besides the UC.

If this is the case then it makes sense that at some time in the future, no dates have been discussed, any remaining solely ESA(CB) claimants will be moved to NS ESA in order that the current payment system can be shut down.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: MariW, Rich, Tiggy8

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #291209 by MariW
Gordon,

Sincere thanks for such a clear answer. I hope it brings some peace to all participants on this thread.

MariW
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tiggy8

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #291226 by Tiggy8
Many thanks for the clarification on this.

Nothing has been mentioned online for this scenario yet. Doesn’t New Style esa require enough ni contributions to qualify ?, I think legacy esa cb provides class 1 ni credits?, so no panic as in regards to not being able to receive New Style esa. (Automatically qualify?). The applicable payment for housing costs (rent) on UC would still be included?.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #291244 by Jenga
I think Chris is wrong on this one. If you only receive Contribution Based ESA with NO income based add ons you will not be moved to UC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MariW, Tiggy8

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #291259 by Gordon
J

See my answer at the top of the page.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: MariW

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.