× Members

Pip report

More
5 months 5 days ago #290493 by Joany58
Pip report was created by Joany58
Hi, Hoping you can clarify this for me, I have my pip report back, seems I’ve only scored 6 points for Daily living,
My conditions are upper limb restrictions so the mobility component wasn’t applicable to me.
The only descriptors I could possibly score points on are Dressing and undressing, washing and bathing and preparing food.
I use aids but live alone so don’t have any physical assistance.
As I only scored (b) 2 points on each for needing to use aids but I don’t have assistance, supervision or need prompting to take meds etc it seems impossible to get the standard rate of DL, is that correct? or will the comments for each descriptor be taken into account?
(In the Recommendation and evidence used section for each one it says “suggest she would not be able to dress or undress/wash and bathe, prepare and cook a meal “ Reliably without the use of suitable aids)
Do you think I will be penalised for living alone even though every day is a struggle or will the reliability comments give me extra points?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 4 days ago #290519 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Pip report
Hi Joany58

Remember, when applying for PIP, it is not so much the condition per se that the DWP is interested in, but how that condition/s impacts a claimant's daily life and mobility as set out in the PIP criteria. We are not assessors or medical professionals, so cannot give a view on what you will get and at what level. Two people can have identical conditions but be given different awards.

You should not be penalised for living alone, I cannot answer the last part of your question as I am not a decision maker.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 months 4 days ago #290537 by River
Replied by River on topic Pip report
From what I read, I think in the B&W guide and possibly also on the forum, it doesn't matter so much whether you actually GET help as whether you are seen to NEED it. For example, I was given 4 points for the 'preparing food' activity, because 'you need supervision or assistance from another person to prepare or cook a simple meal', even though I live alone and don't GET that supervision or assistance. I had described my difficulties in the review form and assessment and that's what the report reflects. Hope that helps?
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Catherine

More
5 months 3 days ago #290581 by Joany58
Replied by Joany58 on topic Pip report
Thanks so much River, that certainly give me hope, I do struggle every single day with those activities and living alone does mean that I need supervision or assistance but don’t get it and hopefully I have also put that across in my assessment. I will update as soon as I know the outcome.

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #294327 by Joany58
Replied by Joany58 on topic Pip report
Hi, Hope someone can help me. I was refused Pip got 6 points for using aids.
When my MR came back it was upheld with 6 points. I was disputing the “preparing food” activity as I need assistance but don’t always get it.
They stated that this descriptor covers things like lightweight pans and pre chopped vegetables and therefore I had been awarded points for needing to use suitable aids. My question is regarding the pre chopped vegetables, surely the simple meal for one has to be made from scratch including peeling and chopping fresh vegetables which I am unable to do safely due to weakness and lack of grip.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #294434 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Pip report
Hi Joany58

I'm not entirely sure where you got your six points from. Am I right in assuming that for the Preparing Food" you were awarded 2 points for using aids?
What were you hoping to be awarded? I know you live alone - but you could have been awarded 4 points for needing assistance to chop up vegetables (which you don't have) or you could be awarded 8 points if you can't prepare a meal - in which case you would have to say that you survive on sandwiches and snacks.

You say that you don't have weakness and lack of grip. Did you make it clear what that was due to?

Read this advice from one of our other mods to another member about how you should be able to satisfy these particular regulations. You should be arguing that you can't.

"Regulation 4(2A) PIP Regs 2013 provides that all PIP descriptor activities have to be completed
• safely
• repeatedly
• to an acceptable standard
• within a reasonable time
This is the so called 'reliability' criteria - all 4 must apply- if you fail to meet even just one of the four this indicates you can't do that descriptor and may need help, an aid or actually can not do the task
Safely - is there a substantial risk that harm might occur? So, if you have epilepsy, and a fit could occur causing danger then this indicates eg supervision for bathing- it doesn't matter whether the likelihood of the fit is infrequent; clearly a fit in the bath could have very serious consequences. Safety issues could comprise dropping knives, or hot pans/food whilst cooking or eating, but could also include leaving the cooker on, and running the risk of fire etc. Falls indicate safety issues, not hearing traffic coming could indicate the need for supervision if out walking.

Acceptable standard is not defined but kind of means the level of completion expected by others. Leaving large messes whilst cooking, or constantly spilling food off the plate or food probably isn't acceptable. Only being able to hear half the words being said is unlikely to be acceptable. Putting on clothes upside down or back to front with buttons not aligned with the button holes is unlikely to be acceptable.
In addition, significant amounts of pain will also be 'unacceptable".

Reasonable time- this is defined as no more than twice that of non disabled person. If you take too long again this shows a need for an aid or physical help.
Some of these criteria overlap- if you are too slow then this probably isn't acceptable. Leaving slip hazards in kitchen could be both unsafe and unacceptable.

Finally consider repetition, tasks need to be done as many times a day as reasonable. The repetition rate will vary across the descriptors.You might wish to cook 3 times a day. Toilet needs with incontinence might need to be managed 10 or more times per day. With journeys and walking this could be 6 or 7 times per day. Bearing in mind the journey could be by car or public transport, but inevitably will involve at least a few short steps to the car and into the nearby building. It would not be unreasonable for someone to take kids to school, go to supermarket, need to go and get new shoes, walk back to car via card shop. Go home.Write card and go to post box. Pick up the kids. Visit mother in evening. None of these journeys or small amounts of walking would be unreasonable, and perhaps one of two more might be required. Communication could however be required 24/7.

You need to be able to do all the required repeats acceptably safely and within the appropriate time for each descriptor. If you fail to repeat except for a trivial time eg 5 mins of the day you can't communicate you can achieve points in accordance with the level of disability under the relevant descriptor.

A descriptor will be met if you can't achieve any/all of the 4 criteria for the majority of days. This means that if you have a better day every so often, that won't preclude points/award of PIP.

Fatigue could also comprise non acceptable standard. It is easy to consider each descriptor task in isolation. Think about the descriptors holistically.
So...if I asked you, do you cook? - if you told me yes, but only when I don't go walking, and it's not the day I have a bath. This would suggest you can't repeat all the activities across the day. Likewise if fatigue, pain breathlessness increase in blood pressure, etc makes activities too slow, this might indicate a problem with repetition as well as being unacceptable standard, and perhaps not safe.

Filling out PIP forms requires a bit of lateral thinking. Consider what makes the activity difficult or impossible. If you had help, why would you need it, and what help would be required. Is it always at the same time, or does it depend on energy/pain levels etc? Try and quantify the help you get, or realistically should have. Disabled people who live alone or have little help often have a stark choice- try and do something, - it may take a while, be only half done, it may risk safety etc, but the alternative is to sit in the chair and do nothing."

I suspect you may not have pushed enough on your limitations and it isn't just a safety issue for you, that stops you preparing a meal. Have a look at what you said and the evidence you gave and fight back.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.