× Members

Ending a NSESA claim - do the DWP need to know why you're ending the claim?

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #290138 by Bobble
My partner has been going stir crazy since he had to cease work last year due to ill health.

He wants to try working again, but he is concerned about any possible impacts that ending his NSESA claim could have on his PIP claim - despite the job being compatible with his disabilities.

If he ceased his claim for NSESA would he have to give a reason for ending the claim? And if he ended it without giving a reason, could it have any impact or repercussions on his claim for PIP?

Many thanks,

Bobble.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #290149 by Gary
Hi Bobble

The first question I would ask is has your partners health improved since they last claimed PIP. If their condition has stayed the same then there is no need to panic. Claimants can work as well as claim PIP, it all comes down to how their condition affects them. Have a look at our guide to help you, benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/pip , I would also seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #290152 by Gordon
B

Has your partner looked at Permitted Work? There are limits on the hours that can be worked and what can be earned but it offers a way back into work whilst retaining his existing ESA award.

There is a guide for PW in the ESA section follow the Guides link at the top of the page.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 months 1 week ago #290171 by Bobble
Thank you Gary and Gordon for your replies.

My partner did look into permitted work first, but couldn't find anything suitable. This job came up but it doesn't qualify under the PW rules (too many hours and pays over the threshold). He wants to give it a go, but we really don't know if he will manage it long term because of his health.

As for his health, no, the disabilities he claims PIP for haven't changed. But, the thing that has changed is the effect of the illness that caused him to stop working and start claiming NSESA in the first place. That has improved a bit, and that's why he wants to be back at work, even though it would only be part time.

I know if he starts work he needs to tell the DWP he wants to end his NSESA claim. But, would starting work also be considered a change of circumstances for PIP - even when the job is compatible with his disabilities - and would they also need to be told he'd started work?

Many thanks once again,

Bobble.

More
5 months 1 week ago #290183 by Gary
Hi Bobble

You have to remember PIP and ESA are two different types of benefits,

PIP isa benefit for adults who have a physical or mental disability and need help taking part in everyday life or find it difficult to get around; whereas

ESA looks at the extent to which your disability or health condition affects your ability to work.

As stated in my previous post, unless their condition has changed then starting work should not affect their PIP claim, as I do not know what was written in their claim. if their PIP claim stated they could not walk more than 20 meters and the Job involved walking over 100 meters then yes, that would be a change in circumstances.

I cannot tell you if ESA and PIP talk to each other as they are seperate departments, but do not assume that they exchange information, the onus is always on the claimant to notify DWP of any changes in circumstances.

Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.