× Members

Review after death of claimant/Soft Touch Review of PIP

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #289934 by Carole
My husband, Raymond passed away on 15 July 2023. His PIP, which had only recently been partially reinstated, stopped on 27 June 2023 - his last payment. Out of 5he blue, in February this year, I received a letter with 13 page form, saying it was possible they owed him money for his unpaid PIP. Both letters (in February and the results letter dated 29 March both said: ‘we are sorry to hear Mr Nowell has died.’ They were informed of his death, as were Pensions Service and NHS Pensions and our Unitary Authority, via the ‘Tell them once’ form sent by the solicitor, or perhaps the Undertaker., I’m not quite sure.

I thought you would like to know that the result of my form completion, which included the question: ‘why are you making this claim?’ has resulted in a payment into my bank account of just over £180 from 28 June to his date of death on 15 July.

My PIP, I have been informed, which was delayed by COVID, is now to receive a ‘soft touch’ review n account of my age - 70 at the beginning of June. If I were to ask for further deterioration of my arthritis to be taken into account, would this necessitate a f2f assessment, do you think? Your advices would be appreciated on this. I can’t face a f2f assessment. I’ve not been outside my flat since my husband’s funeral in August! I would have liked the opportunity to provide further evidence from my GP about the deterioration, in the hope that I could possibly have my Enhanced Rate reinstated. In 2017, I was downgraded to Standard rate on both mobility (despite attending n my powered wheelchair) and the fact that, although not personally known to me, the Physio who carried out my assessment actually lives in the same village as me and had seen me ‘shopping in the local supermarket’! My step arthritis has deteriorated considerably this 2017! Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #289948 by BIS
Hello Carole

I'm sorry to hear about the death of your husband. I'm glad you received what they owed him.

Unfortunately, as far as your own PIP is concerned, there is nothing you can do now. Once a claimant has reached state pension age, the mobility component cannot be increased, and therefore, you will always continue to be paid at the standard rate.

Sorry, I couldn't give you better news.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.