× Members

Changes to criteria ESA/UC and PIP questions

More
8 months 2 days ago #287198 by Wiggles
Hi Everyone,

I'm having trouble understanding the upcoming criteria changes to ESA/UC and PIP. I understand that based on these changes more people will be removed from the higher rates across both benefits. But beyond that, I don't understand fully. I have read the B&W manuals but it's not sinking in.

Here are my questions & below that is an explanation of my concerns:

1 - What are the changes to the criteria/activities and points for PIP that are set to change? I understand that it's something to do with how far you can move? Anything else?

2 - What are the changes to the criteria for ESA/UC that are set to change? Same as above. (I'm currently receiving ESA and will be moved to UC at some point - I know this will impact me and I'd like to understand how)

3 - When are these changes happening?

4 - I've been awarded higher rates or full rates on both, but in one category (mobility/physical) but I ALSO have cognitive and mental health issues. The DWP has refused to accept these issues even though I've provided documentation by Drs to prove my case over the years. I didn't go for an MR because I was awarded the higher rates and didn't want to chance things (risk losing points).

Should I fight to have my mental health and cognitive problems considered because of these upcoming changes? I have ADHD, dyslexia, ME (which impacts my cognitive abilities), PTSD, anxiety and depression. I've now been told I also have LC. All of them impact me greatly and over the years I've met the criteria for both ESA and PIP. Looking through the UC manuals I meet some of the support group criteria in the cognitive and intellectual sections.

In short my concern is that once these changes go through I will lose out on income, support because they're not taking into account my cognitive, mental health and intellectual issues. And, maybe I should request an MR now for my PIP to push for these things to be taken into account even though I qualify for the higher award on mobility alone. And, when going through the move to UC push to have them taken into account.

Can someone please explain all of this to me like I'm 5yo, so I can understand?

Thank you very much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 2 days ago #287200 by Gordon
W

There are no pending changes to the PIP or ESA/UC criteria.

If the Conservatives are re-elected then they have said that they will be making changes to the ESA/UC criteria, I am not aware of any changes to PIP that have been proposed.

The changes are only at the White Paper stage which means that there is a discussion going on about what to change, the Moving Around activity seems to be one of the targets, but until the changes are presented to Parliament, if they ever are, we won't know what they want to do.

Nothing is going to happen before 2025.

My best advice is to stop worrying about it now and keep an eye on the Newsletter for updates.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wiggles

More
8 months 3 hours ago #287359 by Wiggles
Replied by Wiggles on topic Changes to criteria ESA/UC and PIP questions
Thanks Gordon. I appreciate your settling reply.

I wanted to come back and ask a question that's related. I've not received points for ESA or PIP for my mental or cognitive impairments. Should I ask for an MR? My understanding is I shouldn't risk the points I already have but maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Thanks again.

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #287384 by Chris
Hi Wiggles,

It's really a case of the ball being in your court. Sometimes it is just better to accept what you've got (especially if there's an award, rather than risk losing it) - but there's also the possibility of "If you feel that strongly that you can challenge, and score extra for inaccuracies, then maybe's go for it"

I've approved your post, and hopefully you'll get some helpful advice which can assist you. :)

Regards, Chris

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.