× Members

PIP question

More
8 months 1 week ago #287005 by Anneb
PIP question was created by Anneb
Hello - Re PIP review which might be coming up soon: as Appointee for my adult son with autism, I’m particularly confused regarding the Preparing food section as in preparing and cooking a simple meal. My son can’t cook a simple meal as in the meaning of a “cooked one-course meal for one using fresh ingredients” because his autistic obsessions/OCD abount dirt means he can’t get things dirty so he only heats bought ready meals in oven or microwave. Does that really count as “cannot prepare and cook a meal” ? (I mean my son won’t starve with ready made meals).
When it comes to autistic obsessions regarding cleaning, washing and toileting which all take my son hours every day, prompting doesn’t help him because his obsessions over ride everything….how do I explain that ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 1 week ago #287013 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP question
Hi Anneb

You absolutely say that your son can't prepare a simple meal. Putting a meal in the microwave is not the same (although some sneaky assessors try to pretend it is). You are his appointee so you will not only fill in his form, but if they need to speak to you about it - please make it clear as you have done here that he is unable to prepare a meal and don't let anyone try and push you into saying that he can. Remember the, the people who read review forms or even do an assessment with you may have little knowledge of the wide variety of symptoms of autism and OCD, so never assume they will understand. You have to spell it out or speak it out! And don't say your son won't starve with ready-made meals - because the point is he would starve if he had to try and make his own meals - because it wouldn't happen.

Re the autistic obsessions - I understand exactly what you are saying because I have family members with the condition. You need to explain it on your form as if you are telling someone who knows nothing about the condition. You explain they may appear to listen, but they won't be able to take any actions you say; you talk about the hours that he has to spend giving into these obsessions and the impact on him and you. You are an expert here, but if you need additional help, go to the NHS website or any of the reputable autism charities and organisations and always quote what they say. I know you're concerned, but you can do this!

Also, make sure that when the time comes, you have looked at the Guide to PIP claims and reviews. The information you need is from page 128 onwards. There are lots of sample answers which you can use to base your answers on.

Good luck

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 months 1 week ago #287016 by Anneb
Replied by Anneb on topic PIP question
Hi BIS, thank you for your reply. I feel that I am sometimes in a catch 22 situation with this form. Last time, although my son got enhanced daily living PIP, I see that for preparing and cooking a meal, although I had said he could not cook a meal and gave various reasons, the assessor awarded him only 4 points for that. I think that was because I had written that he needs supervision and support with cooking but although I'd added that even with that he would not be able to to prepare or cook a meal himself, maybe the assessor thought that with supervision and support it could work ? But my son certainly wouldn't accept supervision and support - he lives in a little flat nearby but he won't have people come into his flat due to everyone else being "dirty". So I can't work out if mentioning supervision or support is perhaps not always a good thing and that I should stick with just writing about my son's autistic obsessions/OCD to do with dirt preventing him from preparing and cooking - on the other hand, as you say I could write regarding support etc "he is unable to take any of the actions I say or prompt".
I get my head in a spin with these forms, DLA before PIP and ESA - I've been doing them since my son was a child and he's 35 now and I can't stand doing them over and over again.

More
8 months 1 week ago #287022 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic PIP question
Hi Anne

You are not alone, it can be very frustrating going over the same forms when you know the claimant will not get any better. If you kept a copy of your previous successful claims form then use that as a template, make any changessince last claim.

Follow BIS advice and also your own advice, if your son will not do anything even with supervision / support. then say so. I always tell claimants everything is either black or white there are no grey areas when completing the forms, I hate the use of the word 'sometimes' which is very ambiguous.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 months 1 week ago #287039 by Anneb
Replied by Anneb on topic PIP question
Hi Gary - thanks for your reply. I have copies of the previous forms I've done, yes. Can I just ask last one more question on this preparing food topic about this please - when explaining on the form that my son cannot prepare and cook a meal and I give all the reasons in detail, do I also say he only reheats ready made bought food in microwave, or oven in disposable foil tray, or do I not mention what he does for food at all ?

More
8 months 1 week ago #287046 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic PIP question
Hi Anneb,

When I made my application for PIP - I experience a very similar situation to your son, and I wrote on that I just lived on box meals due to the pain that preparing food caused me. I also mentioned that I just use a simple jog dial microwave as some of the more advanced models, can cause confusion, and incorrect method of cooking the meal can sometimes occur. You know, such as 8 minutes on defrost for example, instead of 8 minutes at 100% high cooking mode. Sometimes though, question depending, less information can mean more, as it's open to discussion. That's just my opinion, but good luck with what you decide to write :)

Chris.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid