× Members

PIP Reconsideration and conditions

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #286688 by Navigator
PIP Reconsideration and conditions was created by Navigator
Hi,

I recently used your guides to help a deaf friend to get PIP at the standard rate in both components.

However she scored NO points for engaging with people face to face? As I believe that despite the new ruling they are still not applying the correct law.

My friend is Deaf, so it is unbelievable that she would not have issues when engaging with people face to face, and the assessor stated that she had no problem's understanding any of the questions put to her?

Her son who is 18 had to accompany her and waited in the waiting room outside whilst the assessment took place, I feel that this under the new ruling would have scored her 2 or 4 points. As he has grown up with helping her with her condition.

She still has 14 days remaining to ask for a reconsideration, but she is concerned like a lot of people that they will make her do the whole process over again.

Please could you help me to help her.

Is it true that if you challenge the decision, you payments stop, until the new decision is arrived at?

She has had the back pay, and is getting stand rates in both components, but I feel that if I am right, she would get the enhanced rate in the DLC if points had been awarded for engaging face to face.

Hope you can help.

Kindest regards

Mr D Price.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 1 week ago #286711 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP Reconsideration and conditions
Hi Navigator

Even if your friend puts in for her MR - her current award - standard rate - will continue to be paid while it is being considered. I would say the assessor nor the decision maker has any understanding of what it is like to be Deaf.

Good luck - if she decides to fight. Put something in the MR from a reputable website about the difficulties of communicating face-to-face! You could also get her son to write an additional letter of how he has to help his Mum and the difficulties he has seen.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Claire53, Navigator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.