× Members

DWP monitoring bank accounts - please put together advice article B and W?

• paintingthetownred
  • Topic Author
More
9 months 1 week ago #286593 by paintingthetownred
Hello there all,

First up, I suffer from various forms of anxiety and physical health issues which are made worse by stress.

The way I cope on a day to day basis is to try to sort out the things which are likely to happen realistically from the things which are not likely to happen.

I am not great with finances anyway and tend to waver between double checking bills/my account and the post and overspending because I am fed up. When I say 'overspending' - compared to some people in the world - who are allowed to have cars and holidays my so called luxuries are a £5 special offer ticket to the cinema with my daughter. Just to get it in perspective.

I have found myself in spiral of anxiety with regard to pending possible changes, and so am now putting a list together here hoping to reassure myself and being clear about the things I don't need to worry about regarding this.

This has not been helped by a petition circulating which includes a transcript of a phone call someone anonymous apparently got from the DWP - querying items on their bank account and asking about grocery shops etc.

So can we get our facts straight on this please and can benefits and work look over the information below and tell us if this is correct or not. I know, I'm sorry to ask you for more help and I'd rather not, but I've got the feeling this might help a lot of people.

So here are the facts as I understand them:

1. o.k. we know esa/uc has a capital limit of savings of 6,000 pounds. If you have over that and under 16,000 you have to tell them and pay a certain proportion of what you have (I forget how much).

2. PIP on it's own has no such limit as it is not means tested.

3. Obviously there is a list of changes of circumstances with uc and esa which need to be reported i.e. change of address etc. that has been the case for a long time.

3. The bill which is being debated by the House of Lords - has not passed into law yet - and even if it is - it would not come into effect until 2025? Question being - which is relevant to many is - if we get a new government would the legislation still be passed? If not, are we all worrying about nothing?

4. In a concrete sense - I am aware that DWP are pushing the boundaries anyway - with the questions they ask - should any of us receive a phone call querying something - what are we supposed to do? Or not do?

5. My first port of call is generally the CAB on such matters - but it is really difficult if you get a phone call on a Friday generally and then are left to worry about it all weekend on your own...I'm sure that I'm not on my own with this as many of use have mobiity issues anyway and can't necessarily so easily go and see someone in person.

6. I am aware that if they are investigating you, you should get a letter (?) or is a phone call enough? And if that happens is it recorded/can you make notes? What are you supposed to do if you feel they are asking inappropriate questions? Are they for example allowed to ask you why you haven't any grocery shop transactions in a given week (as an example - I have a store cubboard, for food which I've had since covid and my grocery bill goes up and down anyway with depression and my attempts to eat a better diet with arthritis. I have been known to order a takeaway or groceries via deliveroo when I am too depressed to go out. Will I be criticised for that?

7. Finally, I suspect there will be some unfortunate souls who will be targeted anyway even though we have not done anything wrong. If we are accused of something, how can we defend ourselves? It is very frightening to hear that DWP are threatening people with fines and/or prison. Is this realistic? (My guess is that the person who is targeted will need to trawl back through their own bank accounts and prove that certain transactions are legit). But that takes time and for those of us with mental health issues it is difficult anyway?

What happens to the people with spending disorders or with a gambling problem?

I would be grateful to be told I am over obsessing - and worrying too much but that is what I do anyway and I help myself by looking at what the worse case scenariro might be and then putting a plan in place as to how I might tackle it. And/or by switching my rational brain on and repeating to myself for example that it is unlikely I might be sent to prison for something I've done. ..

But if they threatened that for example, what would I do ? I would probably be suicidal at that point as I'm depressed anyway - can B and W advise and work on a 'what to do if you receive a phone call guide' ?

Please be gentle, I know I suffer from anxiety and 90 per cent of the things I worry about don't even happen but that is severe anxiety for you, it is definitely no fun, and it is with this post that I am trying to find a way forward with it.

All responses appreciated.

pttred

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 1 week ago #286594 by Chris
Hello Pttred,

I know this saying very well haha. I am still fairly new to moderating, but I will certainly try and answer what questions I can, before the forum closes in a few hours time for a few weeks for annual leave.

1/ This is correct. From £6,001 to £16,000, you are charged £4.35 for every £250 pounds over the £6,000 you are, as this is classified as earnings, and your UC is reduced to show this. (To make this easier for myself, I round it up to £20 for every £1,000 I am over £6,000). I know this myself, as I was awarded a backdated PIP payment in 2022, and didn't realise I only had a year to spend it, and I am now penalised, as I tried to save this towards my Pension age retirement, and now lose £100 per month from my UC, as at the time of my assessment with UC, I had a balance of just over £11,000, which is dropping quicker than usual as I'm having to use it to survive because of the Cost of Living.

2/ This is correct - PIP is not means tested, but please refer to question 1 in relation to the backpayment I received, and the length of time you get to use this, and how it could at a later date affect your UC benefits.

3/ This is also true at this moment in time, but who knows what the future holds, especially if we end up with a new government in place, after the next Election in 2024.

4/ Tough Question - Me personally, I've always found honesty is the best policy, whether you're caught off guard or not. Mind, they should really be informing you of an appointment. Like me, if I get any calls that I'm not expecting, and it's from a withheld number, I ignore it, due to the amount of scams on the rise, and having been a victim several times in the past, it makes me incredibly anxious about answering the phone to begin with, never mind to a complete stranger.

5/ This is true, or even social anxiety issues, which could end up turning you into a recluse. I tend to use other places of support that are available online, such as Welfare Rights for example, in which a lot of local councils are able to offer you their number, and at times, can call to visit. My local council offers this service, and it can be for a whole range of different things, including work, trouble with neighbours, disabilities etc. You've also got the likes of Stepchange who are a free charity for financial advice for example.

6/ I've usually recieved a letter in my journal within a PDF file for some of these instances, and I don't believe they're allowed to critisise you if you have any sort of illness. This can include Food, Alcoholism, Drugs etc - these are not always as simple as someone taking it just because it's there, there can be a whole load of background reasons such as abuse, loss, depression etc etc, and this can cause comfort eating, getting drunk for example, and whilst I know they can offer support - they should never ever judge anyone for anything, because they simply don't know what that person has been through. I comfort eat myself, and it's to cover a whole range of mixed emotions - and has impacted my weight massively. I've basically gained 5 stone in 4 years, and I wasn't particularly thin or healthy to start off with. Eating healthy can be incredibly difficult if you're fussy, or can't afford to purchase some things for example - it's never as easy as "do this" in my personal opinion.

7/ I agree, it's going to be tough for hundreds of thousands of people, probably millions, and I'm sure a lot on this forum will relate to it, and as for gambling, once again, it's an illness, and needs to be treated, never judged. This is also something I like to do, however, I am lucky enough to know in my own head when to stop, due to my background in Finance of many years.

I hope these answers have helped ease your anxiety and worries, especially during this time of year, and I'm sure anyone who has anything further to add, will be more than happy to share, and offer words of support and advice.

Regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: paintingthetownred

• paintingthetownred
  • Topic Author
More
9 months 1 week ago #286598 by paintingthetownred
Thank you so much.

More
9 months 1 week ago #286599 by Chris
My pleasure Pttred,

Have a good one!

Regards, Christmas Chris :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.