× Members

Guillain-Barré syndrome help needed

More
9 months 1 week ago #286510 by Alan
My son contracted Guillain-Barré syndrome when he was a teenager that left him severely disabled, he has no movement of his lower limbs and has to wear splints, his hands aren't able to hold items and his back is very poor. He received full mobility just after the illness and they said it was for life but when he was reassessed for PIP he lost all the payment. Through advise from this website we appealed and got the payments back so thank you very much for that.

He is now 45 years old. He managed to find work in his twenty's but during the Covid lock down they made him redundant. His health has detreated and he has not been able to look for another job. He is finding it hard to get to see a doctor and is not looking after himself.

I am very concerned about him and his health, he is proud and will not seek help and is living off his redundancy and saving which is quickly running out.

How much can he have in savings before being able to claim any benefits?

What benefits is he entitled to and where can I find any assistance to help me find what is best for him. At times he gets very aggravated when I mention getting help but I am very worried about him as he is not eating properly, it's very rare he goes out of the house and is not putting the heating on which is making his condition worse.

It took several battles before he would let me help him with The PIP forms.

Thanks Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 1 week ago #286518 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Guillain-Barré syndrome help needed
Hi Alan

When you apply for PIP, savings are not taken into account, it is not means tested.

When applying for any means tested benefit such as UC, if you have savings over £16k then you will be ineligible to claim ,although there are exceptions.

If you have savings less than £6k and you are under SP age, then the savings will not be taken into consideration, if you have savings between £6k and £16k, then for every bundle of £250 or part of you will loose £1.00 in tariff income. The rules are slightly different for those of SP age.

You can check benefit entitlements by using an online benefit checker; gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.