× Members

IR ESA and Inheritance (and stamp)

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286354 by coolthud
IR ESA and Inheritance (and stamp) was created by coolthud
Hi

I've been on IR ESA (149.05 PW) for many years and also receive PIP.

Just today I've finally physically received into my bank account a low six figure inheritance into my bank account and will be calling the dreaded ESA offices on Monday morning to notify them. What should be a really happy day is actually terrifying me

Q1) I know that IR ESA is means tested I'm just wondering does this mean I lose all that benefits money forever?

Q2) Obviously I'm still having major health issues and can't work so what would happen to my NI stamp, prescriptions entitlement and dental care? Do I lose all this too as to be honest I think these are more important to me for my current health meds / care and future pension?

Q3) I presume PIP will be left untouched as I think it's not means tested. Is that correct? If it isn't do I not need to notify them?

Thank you so much for all your help. You're guides and advice have been invaluable to be over the years.

Seasons greetings,

Jason.
Sorry for any typos, my phone hates me. 😀

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286359 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic IR ESA and Inheritance (and stamp)
c

Q1. If your savings and assets exceed £16,000 then you will lose your entitlement to ESA(IR). If you qualified for ESA by your NI Contributions then you can still be paid the ESA(CB) rate. if you didn't then the ESA claim will be closed.

If at some time in the future, you drop below the limit again and the DWP have no issues with how you disposed of the money then you can claim UC.

Q2. Providing you maintain your Limited Capability for Work status then you should receive Class 1 NI Credits that count towards a full State Pension.

Q3. PIP is not affected by your savings and assets.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: coolthud

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286364 by coolthud
Replied by coolthud on topic IR ESA and Inheritance (and stamp)
Thank you Gordon. I'll give the ESA people a call on Monday.

Happy Christmas to you.

Jason.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286366 by denby
Replied by denby on topic IR ESA and Inheritance (and stamp)
Dear coolthud, Gordon mentions: 'and the DWP have no issues with how you disposed of the money'.
Please do keep as many receipts as possible if you do have to spend the inheritance, as DWP have a nasty habit of alleging you haven't really spent it but have eg moved it somewhere, and still have it, even though you haven't. Receipts for goods [eg shopping or that replacement appliance] and services are the only way to prove where the money went.
It might be worth investing in an exercise book and a gluestick, to just paste them in as you shop. The ink on some does fade though.
Hope you get this sorted,
Denby
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary, coolthud

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286381 by Moof
Replied by Moof on topic IR ESA and Inheritance (and stamp)
It's worth reflecting on whether there's anything you really need to buy with some of the money, which you haven't been able to afford without it – for instance, did you think "I can finally buy an orthopaedic mattress and be rid of the constant back pain"?

I've received two modest legacies. The first was spent on replacing a 15-year-old powerchair, which had started to cost a lot in repairs. The second arrived shortly before the local authority rehoused me in a new bungalow, which had bare concrete floors and no blinds, fittings, etc. I had to furnish it almost from scratch, which only left me with about £3k from the legacy.

I kept careful records, and in both cases DWP accepted all the expenditure without quibble. The second legacy took me well over the 6K lower capital limit for few weeks, and they stopped a small amount (less than £50) from my ESA in respect of this.

It was a royal pain having to photocopy everything, but I was pleasantly surprised at how they dealt with it – I was expecting to be arguing over whether it's really essential to have a dishwasher or whatever. (It is, by the way, if standing at the sink tends to make you collapse in sections like a blown-up chimney. 😆)

Good luck.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.