× Members

PIP, State Pension age and withdrawal of carer's allowance

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286308 by JackieO
Hello everyone,

I would be grateful for your advice please.

With the invaluable help of this group, I successfully challenged via Tribunable my husband's application for PIP, which was subsequently awarded for 5 years.

Following this, I claimed carer's allowance. However, this month I myself reach State Pension age and have been informed that the carer's allowance will stop.

This is very disappointing, as I paid into my State Pension for over 40 years, only giving up work to care for my parents and now my husband.

My question is, is this correct and if so, are there any other benefits that are available to me, to help support me in supporting my husband?

Many thanks in advance,

Jackie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286323 by Gordon
J

Carers Allowance and the State Pension are classed as overlapping benefits which means that only the highest paid, normally the Pension will actually be paid, you retain an underlying entitlement to the CA it just won't be paid.

You can put your details into one of the online benefit calculators

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Depending on your circumstances your husband may be able to claim UC, this includes a Carers Element which would go some way to replacing the CA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.