× Members

UPDATE PIP REVIEW: SUCCESSFUL OUTCOME, GOOD EXPERIENCE DEALING WITH CAPITA/DWP

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286274 by Jacs
I've been waiting a year for my PIP review and have just received a letter yesterday from CAPITA for a health assessment next Friday 22nd December via telephone, with Christmas and recovering from surgery not much time to prepare 3 days before Christmas. Appreciate some advice?!

I'm already super stressed and I live alone, currently recovering from cervical denervation (right) and nerve blocks right shoulder AC joint and scapular from decade of tendinopathy and bursitis, and 6wks post op pains returned, am going back into hospital on 4/1/24 for round 2 cervical denervation on the left side. I'm on ESA, EDP, SDP, PIP DL Std for last 4 years with lumbar & cervical spondylosis, all levels bulging herniated discs, narrowing of the spinal column with some cord compression but not significant for surgery yet, degenerative disc disease, muscle spasms, severe carpal tunnel bilateral and had surgery 2019 both hands which have resulted in further issues in the wrist, and continue cervical radiculopathy, I haven't slept properly for over 13 years since my first fall in 2010 and had to medically retire from my corporate job in London in financial services in 2007. I've been on antidepressants since 2006 and struggle with my mental health and chronic pain, but because my family all moved abroad I'm seen as I have no one so have to manage then I can and have gone to tribunal 3 times for each section of support over the last decade I am so stressed just thinking of another health assessment despite over 150 pages of medical evidence. The fact that I have a week to prepare and just before Christmas, is there any advice from anyone please in what I can expect, how to prepare. I have all my paperwork and the review papers I sent back in 4/1/23. They did the same last year upsetting my Christmas with review papers now the assessment 3 days before christmas. I am having physio next week on my back/neck and under NHS pain management programme and the added stress whislt trying to recover and at this time of year, I haven't seen my parents in 6 years and will again be having a virtual Christmas dinner with them as we're both alone, but the DWP see family should be the ones looking after you and don't get that I have no one (divorced, no children, and my friends don't live nearby as we all worked in London) but have 1 BFF nearby who is my rock but she has her own family. How have others found the PIP Review Telephone Health Assessment? I hated my last one I had years ago at home as the report was a total pack of lies full of cut and paste standardised answers, ignoring everything i said and did and said I was totally fine and not in any pain, one even said my mental health was fine because I was not rocking back and forth. The anticipation knowing whats coming when having gone through to tribunal 3 times and won on top of chronic pain with a week to prepare. Happy Christmas DWP!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286288 by Gary
Hi Jacs

It can be very stressful, some claimants prefer face to face others prefer telephone assessments.

If you have a look at our PIP guide at the link below you will see that there are a number of pages which include advice on telephone assessments. Yes, a lot of the questions are those that would have been asked if you had a face to face assessment.
benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/pip

- Write yourself a bullet point list of any particular points you want to get over, so you have it by you during the assessment, tick them as you cover them during the assessment.
- have paper and pens to hand to make any notes such as the assessors name, date, time
- Record the assessment surreptitiously. (Never trust that there won't be a problem with their equipment!)
- make sure you are seated in a comfortable chair, you are going to be there a while and at table to make notes
- if you can't hear or understand what is being asked then ask them to repeat the question
- don’t let the assessor rush you and get you flustered.
- don't forget to have a glass of water if needed so you don't get a dry throat and lose your voice!

Don't forget to contact DWP 48 hours after the assessment and ask for a copy of the assessors report called PA4 but as it will be Christmas period I would wait until the beginning of January before contacting (3rd/4th).

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286312 by Jacs
Thank you Gary, yes I have all the guides as I joined in January when I did my PIP Review papers. I am considering postponing it as having it a few days before Christmas really is added stress but am conscious I have my surgery in January and if they rebook and not listen to the fact I cannot do it cos of hospital and recovery, they will just mark me down as not attending as know how they play the game and last time I had a home assessment and she turned up 2 hours late rushed and left and her report was a pack of lies and not wha thad happened/or answers I had given and had to go through the MR/Tribunal which took 18months, back in 2019-2021. I have dug out my review paperwork and the guides I printed off in January but notice there's been updates on a few so downloaded to go over, its just the time to read/prep with Christmas prep on top. Your advice is much appreciated.

I wonder if anyone else is being called for assessments a few days before Christmas also, seems like they just want to tick off people to say they did it this year on there stats report.

Thanks Jacque
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286332 by Gary
Hi Jacs

We have heard on the forum from a few members, so you are not alone, if you prepare yourself, then don't put it off, as the stress will not go away and you will be thinking about it all over Christmas and then you have your surgery in January, so you have enough to keep you busy without extra stress and worry.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Jacs

More
9 months 1 week ago #286565 by Jacs
Yes be glad when its done tomorrow, set the alarm for 7am, hope they not too late as due call at 8am, health assessment had at home several years ago turned up 2hrs late! Then can get into the Christmas spirit. Merry Christmas and thanks for all your support.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
9 months 1 week ago #286567 by Gary
Hi Jacs

Good luck for tomorrow

Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid