× Members

DWP Banks

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286241 by JLP
DWP Banks was created by JLP
Does this DWP being able to access our bank accounts worry anyone? Is it true that it’s only means tested benefits they can snoop on? When is it coming into being? Many thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluejay52

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286243 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic DWP Banks
Hi JLP

They say only means tested benefit claimants, but how will banks identify the difference between means tested benefit claimants and non means tested benefit claimants.

It is already here, the snoopers charter. We are told that the Government will be amending the law to allow this, (The Investigatory Powers Act 2016).

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robbie, JLP, denby, fibrofred

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286248 by TwistedWitch
Replied by TwistedWitch on topic DWP Banks
I saw a question in Parliament from Stephen Timms MP and he said that this snooping will apply to State Pensioners as well as benefit claimants. Means testing was not mentioned and as most State Pensioners are not on means tested benefits (Pension Credit being the exception there), then yes we should be worried. I have spent the last 20 years panicking that the DWP were going to find me fit for work and withdraw my financial support. Terrified to go a penny over their savings allowance when I was saving up for a Mobility Scooter, and now that I reach SP age in just two weeks time I had thought all that stress was beind me, but no.......... they still intend to make me feel violated and spied on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JLP, denby

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286254 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic DWP Banks
Hi Twistedwitch,

I think hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people are feeling the exact same way, myself included. These tories are doing everything in their power to belittle people who are disabled, elderly or have lost their jobs and forced onto benefits. I worked hard for over 20 years, and lost my job in 2020, and now finding that I'm being penalised for having savings, because they're classified as income when claiming UC. I feel so let down, all them years that I'd given my all, and now they're taking hundreds, going into thousands back off me :(

There's an online petition going around online via 38 Degrees about stopping the snooping - Me personally, whilst I don't approve of fraud, for the ones who are legit, I feel it for them, and think this will increase the suicide rate unfortunately.

Regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: JLP, Bridgetfw

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286276 by denby
Replied by denby on topic DWP Banks
Hi all. This morning's Reith Lecture [BBC R4] included the statement that the general public believes that ONE THIRD of benefits claimants are committing fraud. Whereas the true figure is one-hundredth of that, 0.33%. Ie, one in three hundred people are 'conning the system, NOT one in three!!! [sorry for capitals...]
It is this crazily biased and inaccurate belief we have work to counter. The trouble is that people who believe stuff that biased tend to believe they are right and everyone else, whatever the evidence, is wrong... sigh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fibrofred, Gary, Chris

More
9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #286299 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic DWP Banks
Hi denby,

Staggering! Huge difference in figures! Well, if the government wants to waste millions of more pounds paying staff to check for virtually none existant fraud, well then let them get on with it. It'll probably be another case of how things ended up with the useless Track and Trace system - a total waste of money. Sooner these tories are out of government, the better - I remember listening to an elderly woman on the telly and she said that "picking which tory you want in charge, is like trying to choose which peace of carrot you want to eat from a pile of sick" - Yep, total nail on the head!

Regards, Chris.

Last edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by Chris.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, fibrofred

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid