× Members

ESA Severe Disability Premium Question

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286199 by Matt1291
ESA Severe Disability Premium Question was created by Matt1291
Hi everyone,

I have my own separate question related to Severe Disability Premium. I am new to this forum and I'm learning the rules here. I'm not sure whether I should put this question in an existing thread to avoid clutter or to make a new thread. I have aspergers/autism and I always follow the rules.

I thought I would start by putting my question here as it is on the same topic with the same subject heading I would have used but I can create a new topic if required.

I am in the ESA support group and I am claiming PIP. I have two full time carers and one of them is claiming carer's allowance for looking after me. My carer is about to turn 66, which is the state pension age at which point the government website says her carer's allowance will stop. My carer only gets her pension because she has been getting carer's allowance for looking after me all my life. The last thing I would want to do is risk her pension, hence I am asking here for this advice. Please let me know if this is not appropriate and where I should be looking instead.

Because my carer gets carer's allowance for looking after me, I do not get the severe disability premium. I want to be able to claim housing benefit and when I am eventually moved to universal credit, I want to have the severe disability premium so that I get transitional protection.

My carer is happy to stop claiming carer's allowance so that I can get the severe disability premium. As her birthday is only a few months away, this would not affect her much financially as she will soon get her pension. I have found out about carer's credit. We would like to contact the DWP/people in charge and get them to move her from carer's allowance to carer's credit instead and pay me the SDP on my ESA instead.

My questions are:

Firstly - What would be the best way to go about doing this?
Secondly - If my carer were to stop getting the carer's allowance payment, will she still be eligible for her state pension? Is it/would it be straightforward to move her from carer's allowance to carer's credit?
Thirdly - if my carer were to stop claiming the carer's allowance payment, will they definitely give me SDP? Would they give me SDP automatically if my carer were to stop claiming carer's allowance for me or would I separately need to pursue it?

I know this is a long question and I would be extremely grateful for any advice or help that anyone can give me here. I'm extremely grateful for this website/service and it has really helped me alot. It has positively changed my life for the better so much I wouldn't know where to start.

If you have any questions or need additional information, please do not hesitate to ask. I would be very grateful for any help or advice that anyone can give me here regarding this issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286215 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Severe Disability Premium Question
M

I have moved your post to its own topic, we do ask members not to add their questions to other's topics as it can lead to the wrong advice being given.

To receive the Severe Disability Premium you must be entitled or entitled with the SDP included to the Income Related component of legacy ESA. If you are not entitled to ESA(IR) or you are receiving New Style ESA then the SDP is not payable.

You must also be living alone or treated as being living alone and no one must be receiving Carers Allowance against your PIP award.

The State Pension and Carers Allowance are overlapping benefits, this means only the higher, normally the Pension, is payable. Because the CA would not be in payment it will enable entitlement to the SDP.

There is no need for your carer to close their CA claim unless you want to claim the SDP before they reach State Retirement Age. Their claiming Carers Credit is only necessary if they do not have all of the Contributions and/or Credits for a full State Pension. If this is the case then they should not close the CA claim but rather have it superseded by the Credit's claim.

If you are eligible for the SDP then you need to contact the ESA Helpline to claim it, they will ask you to complete an IS10 form about your living circumstances.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt1291

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286223 by Matt1291
Replied by Matt1291 on topic ESA Severe Disability Premium Question
Thank you kindly, I am most grateful for your help.

I'm sorry I didn't create a new thread; I will always create a new thread for my own new questions in future. Thank you for moving my question to a new thread and answering it
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.