× Members

Claiming PIP and Attendance Allowance

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #285929 by Kevin9320
Claiming PIP and Attendance Allowance was created by Kevin9320
Hi there

It's actually a query about whether it is possible to claim PIP and Attendance Allowance at the same time.

My circumstances are: I'm 66 and receiving the state pension. I also receive PIP ongoing at the enhanced rates for care and mobility. On account of my medical situation my wife doesn't work and she receives Carer's Allowance but no other state benefits. We do have some savings and pay for things like council tax.

Would I also qualify for Attendance Allowance and is it conceivable that successfully claiming AA could at some later point affect either the PIP award or my wife's Carer's Allowance?

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #285932 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Claiming PIP and Attendance Allowance
Hi Kevin9320

The short answer to your question is an individual cannot claim both PIP and AA. I would just forget Attendance Allowance, you are way better off claiming PIP as you can claim a motability car with the mobility component, you cannot with Attendance Allowance.

The main difference between PIP and AA is that there is no mobility component for those claiming AA, you can only claim AA once you have reached state pension age and your health deteriorates.

You say that your wife does not work but claims carers allowance, most claimants I know who claim carers allowance work very hard with any days off caring for their loved one, a few may get a rest bite, but by and large they are working 24/7.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.