× Members

Do I wait for the review or put in new claim?

More
9 months 4 weeks ago #285871 by MrH2020
I posted back my PIP review in November and the award runs out in July 2024.
My health has got significantly worse this year, I have a lung condition called Bronchiectasis and I am colonised with Pseudomonas and MRSA.
I have had multiple IV injections at home and had to go into hospital for 2 weeks to get a trial antibiotic which did not work.
My consultant does not want to give me anymore antibiotics unless she really needs to as my infections are now multi drug resistant.
This has affected my whole life for the worst, I cannot now walk very far at all without getting fatigued and I rarely go out of the house because of the same reason.
Getting bathed and dressed I need help.
I have written this all down on my review but the last time I was awarded standard for both daily living and mobility.
I have been assessed as having a Bronchiectasis severity score of 16, the scale stops at 9+ as shown below.
9 +Severe Bronchiectasis
1-year outcomes: 7.6 % - 10.5 % mortality rate, 16.7 - 52.6 % hospitalisation rate
4-year outcomes: 9.9 - 29.2 % mortality, 41.2 - 80.4 % hospitalisation rate

Should I take a chance at just waiting for the review as reading on the forum, some are pushed back a year. If I don’t wait and put in a new claim what could happen??
Award stopped and await a new outcome or??
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 4 weeks ago #285873 by LL26
Hi MrH2020,
I'm sorry to hear that your health is deteriorating.
Since you already have a claim, I don't quite understand why you need to put a new claim in. I advise that you just wait for the outcome of your review.
Whilst no one can guarantee the outcome, at least if you are successful you will get increased payments may go from the review date or perhaps earlier if DWP accept when your health changed.
If the review is not successful you can still do a Reconsideration and appeal thereafter if required. I think it would be ill advised to end your claim and start a new one. Firstly it's not necessary, and second you could end up with heaps of angst, and crucially no benefit at all in the meantime!
Presumably you have supporting letters and have sent these in, if not see if you can get these now, and send them in asap.
It might be worth ringing DWP to chase them up. You could explain how bad your health has become and ask how long the decision will be.
I note that you have shown mortality rates in your post. There is a fast track system for those who have been given a prognosis of 12 months to live. If this does apply to you, then you need to ask your doctor for form SR1 (used to be form DS1500). In the meantime phone DWP and tell them you now fall under the special rules. (You can send the form in later when received.)
I wish you all the best.
I hope this helps.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrH2020

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid