× Members

Owning property and impact on benefits

More
10 months 3 days ago #285713 by Debbie
Does anyone know if I own a flat but I move into a flat owned by my Mum does it affect my benefits?

My own flat would not generate income as it would remain empty

I only own one small flat

The other flat where I may move to is owned by. Y Mum

I own my flat outright without a mortgage

I would not be paying rent to my Mum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 3 days ago #285726 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Owning property and impact on benefits
Hi Debbie,

Do you receive the housing element added into your benefits ? If so, you're likely to lose that if you're not going to be paying any rent to your Mum. As for owning your own flat, I am not sure - I would ask your local job centre, as I don't know if there's rules where if you can rent it out to generate an income, then you should - It's a tough one. One of the other mods may know the answer if you can't obtain one from the JC.

Regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Debbie

More
10 months 3 days ago #285728 by David
Replied by David on topic Owning property and impact on benefits
You would still be entitled to contributions based DWP Benefits and PIP. But you would lose all entitlement to means tested Benefits as your flat would be an asset worth more than £16,000.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon, Gary, Debbie, Chris

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #286006 by feelion
Replied by feelion on topic Owning property and impact on benefits
Just to add to avoid confusion to home owners. You would have to look into the consequence of your flat being empty, but if you live in your home and own it, it is disregarded capital and does not affect mean tested benefits. As someone who found themselves in that position inheriting a parents home I live in after they died suddenly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #286013 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Owning property and impact on benefits
D

Just to clarify.

You will only be entitled to ESA CB if you met the Contribution Conditions at the time that you applied for ESA. If you did not and the equity in your empty flat exceeds £16,0000 then you will lose your entitlement to ESA completely, UC has the same rules so you will not be able to claim this either.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.