× Members

Can't do phone calls -- how to communicate with DWP

More
10 months 3 days ago #285706 by wawa
Hi, I'm helping my partner with applying for ESA and she can't really do phone calls, especially stressful ones with strangers like from the DWP.

We've sent in the application form for ESA, and they said they will 'contact' her (by 7 Dec) to book a 'Claimant Commitment' appointment, 'normally over the phone - unless you have told us you need an alternative format'.

Questions:
1. How will they 'contact' her? I've seen some people say they received a text, some saying they got a phone call. Is there any way to make sure she gets a text?

2. I don't remember any section in the form where we could have asked for an alternative format! And what alternative formats can they offer? I was thinking of having her use the Relay service, but I think it's quite annoying to receive calls through that, especially if the phone call isn't on time (which, given the DWP, is pretty likely right?). How do other people (like D/deaf people) receive phone calls???

3. She's afraid that receiving any phone calls will be taken by the DWP as evidence that she is normally able to do phone calls, which I think is a very valid fear. Do people have experience with this?

4. Does she have to provide a fit note now or only when they've asked for it?

(I have helped someone with applying for UC LCWRA and PIP and used the guides on here so I have been exposed to the DWP's scummy ways, but they love to surprise me!)

Thank you sooooo much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 3 days ago #285731 by Gary
Hi wawa

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

One question I would ask you, have you thought of becoming an Appointee; www.gov.uk/become-appointee-for-someone-claiming-benefits, you would then be able to speak on your partners behalf or alternatively you could contact DWP and request a home visit due to your partners disability.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 months 2 days ago #285741 by wawa
Thanks! I had a look through the ESA FAQ on here but I didn't see anything for this stage (pre-assessment), and nothing about phonecalls.

I can't be an Appointee for my partner as I am also disabled and can't do phonecalls myself.

Can anyone help with my questions please?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.